David Ammons is a commercial trial lawyer with extensive experience handling high-stakes litigation in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts nationwide. Clients value David’s skill at efficiently and effectively resolving their litigation challenges in a manner that squares with their long-term strategic objectives. David has been recognized in the 2020 Legal 500 U.S. directory (Legalease) for his “responsiveness, client attention and practical application of knowledge.” He was also recognized in Texas Super Lawyers, 2020 (Thomson Reuters).
Plaintiffs and defendants seek David’s representation in complex commercial litigation matters, including breach of contract disputes, business torts, fiduciary and financial litigation, and environmental and toxic tort litigation. David has particular experience representing companies, hedge funds, and court-appointed trustees in bankruptcy litigation matters.
Board certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, David represents onshore and offshore oil and gas producers, gas marketing companies, gas pipeline companies, and natural gas liquids processing companies. He has successfully defended major integrated oil and gas companies and large independents in multidistrict and class action cases with multimillions of dollars at stake. He also has handled complex disputes concerning joint operating agreements, purchase and sale agreements, operational issues, and title to oil and gas assets.
Clients appreciate that David’s early-career secondment to the commercial litigation group of a major integrated oil and gas company has made him a more effective advocate and provided him with unique insight into the operational and business concerns of his clients.
David is a member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Energy Law and an officer of its Litigation and Dispute Practice Committee.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company in the defense of a number of proposed class action cases alleging underpayment of royalties on gas and natural gas liquids production. Defeated class certification.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company against claims brought under the False Claims Act alleging underpayment of royalties on crude oil extracted from federal and Indian lands.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company against allegations that it participated in an industry-wide antitrust conspiracy relating to lease bonuses and royalties. Secured dismissal of all claims.
- Defended a publicly traded exploration and production company in litigation concerning the enforceability of a lease option agreement and other related agreements impacting acreage throughout the country. Prevailed on summary judgment.
- Represented a publicly traded midstream company in connection with breaches of numerous offshore gas gathering agreements, including pursuing federal administrative remedies.
- Represented an independent oil and gas company in a dispute concerning title to leases and wells in the Permian basin and associated unlawful drainage.
- Represented an independent oil and gas company in a cotenant accounting dispute concerning leases and wells in the Barnett Shale.
- Defended officers and directors of an independent exploration and production company against claims of operational mismanagement and breaches of fiduciary duty relating to two emerging shale plays.
- Handled director and officer litigation relating to the bankruptcy of a nationwide homebuilder.
- Handled fiduciary litigation relating to the bankruptcy of an entity that designed, implemented, and managed Independent Physician’s Associations and Management Services Organizations.
- Handled director and officer and accounting malpractice litigation relating to the bankruptcy of a designer and manufacturer of offshore drilling rigs.
- Represented a foreign government in cross-border environmental and toxic tort litigation relating to copper and gold mining.
- Represented Joint Official Liquidators for companies in the Cayman Islands in federal multi-district litigation relating to the collapse of Parmalat, the Italian international food conglomerate.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in litigation concerning patent infringement.
Some of the above representations were handled by David prior to joining Haynes and Boone.
- Dallas Bar Association, Energy Law Section: Chair (2018); Vice Chair (2017); Treasurer (2016); Symposium Chair (2015); Communications and Sponsorship Chair (2014)
- The Institute for Energy Law, Officer of the Litigation and Dispute Practice Committee and Member of the Advisory Board
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Houston Association of Professional Landmen
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Recognized in the 2020 Legal 500 U.S. directory, Legalease Ltd.
- Recognized in the 2020 Texas Super Lawyers directory, Thompson Reuters.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Energy Law; officer of Litigation and Dispute Practice Committee.
- “Trends in Oil and Gas Royalty Disputes,” speaker, Petroleum Accountants Society of Houston's Twenty-Seventh Annual Education Day, May 26, 2016.
- “Royalty Litigation: Perspectives from the Lessor / Lessee,” co-presenter, State Bar of Texas Oil and Gas Disputes Course,
January 29, 2016.
- “Trends in Oil and Gas Royalty Disputes,” co-presenter, Petroleum Accountants Society of Houston, November 19, 2015; San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen, October 12, 2015.
- “Lessors Development Expectations During Downturn,” author, Texas Lawyer, April 6, 2015.
- “The Deductibility of Post-Production Costs in Texas and Oklahoma,” author, Petroleum Accounting and Financial Management Journal, Volume 34, No. 1, March 1, 2015.
- “Litigating Oil and Gas Valuation Issues,” presenter, Tarrant County Bar Association, Energy Law Section, October 9, 2014.
- “Trends In Royalty Litigation,” presenter, Dallas Bar Association’s 29th Annual Review of Oil and Gas Law Seminar, August 14, 2014.
- “How to Avoid Lease-Related Litigation,” author, Texas Lawyer, March 4, 2013.
- “Valuing the Potential of Land for Oil and Gas Development,” presenter, Dallas Bar Association, Energy Law Section, January 16, 2013.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1999, cum laude
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2003
Briefing Attorney for the Honorable Terry Jennings, First District Court of Appeals of Texas, 2003-2004
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Forty-eight Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers were featured in the 2020 edition of the Texas Super Lawyers directory published by Thomson Reuters. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evalua [...]