D.J. Beaty focuses on litigating disputes within the upstream and midstream sectors of the oil and gas industry. He has handled matters across the nation for energy clients and is an experienced trial lawyer who has tried cases to juries and the bench, arbitrated to final award, and managed appeals in state and federal courts. D.J. also regularly advises clients outside of litigation on issues arising under oil and gas leases and other industry agreements.
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2021
Professional and Community Activities
- Institute for Energy Law’s (IEL) Leadership Class
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association’s Energy Litigation Journal, Former Editor
- Cornerstone Presbyterian Church, Board of Trustees
- Obtained affirmance of bankruptcy court’s summary judgment for E&P client in lawsuit for underpayment of royalties and failure to act as a reasonably prudent operator under a Louisiana oil and gas lease.
- Secured favorable settlement for E&P client in lawsuit concerning damage to an Eagle Ford oil and gas well during completions operations.
- Obtained reversal of multimillion-dollar trial judgment in title dispute concerning interests in three Oklahoma horizontal wells.
- Advised E&P client concerning continuous-development obligations and other lease-compliance issues under several significant Eagle Ford leases.
- Obtained summary judgment for three plaintiffs in DTPA action arising from an Alaskan bear hunt.
- Obtained favorable settlement and stipulation of interest for E&P Client in lawsuit concerning underpayment of revenues from wells in an East Texas gas field.
- Obtained partial directed verdict and take-nothing jury verdict for client at trial in environmental-contamination suit in the Texas Panhandle.
- Secured favorable multimillion-dollar settlement in a lawsuit against a service company for damages caused to client’s Pennsylvania well during perforating operations.
- Defended client in $240 million dispute with international partner concerning the development of a Texas gas field through court proceedings and a final arbitration award, ultimately limiting damages to less than 1% of that sought by opponent.
- Obtained reversal from court of appeals of summary judgment against E&P client’s claims concerning the formation of a $230 million contract for the sale of producing assets, and affirmance of summary judgment against opponents’ counterclaims arising from the same transaction.
- Obtained dismissal of direct-liability claims against client in consumer-protection class action filed in an Oklahoma federal court.
- Obtained injunction prohibiting landowners from threatening E&P client’s employees and ensuring client’s access to well site.
- Secured emergency relief to permit environmental testing of a well pad by E&P client in Texas Panhandle.
- Obtained summary judgment in an area-of-mutual-interest dispute involving a portfolio of overriding royalty interests in East Texas and successfully defended the judgment on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous claims asserted against E&P client in federal court by a non-operator concerning a group of Barnett gas wells.
- Obtained directed verdict in jury trial concerning the formation and performance of land-sale contract.
- Obtained summary judgment against claims of corporate-officer liability in suit concerning a commercial property development.
- Obtained arbitration award for E&P client and successfully defended all counterclaims in multimillion-dollar accounting and development dispute.
- “Financial Distress and Joint Operations,” presenter, Texas Wesleyan School of Law’s 2011 Energy Symposium, 2011.
- “Texas Midstream: Balancing Local Desires against National Interests,” author, 2010 A.B.A. Energy Lit. J. (Fall 2010).
- “Securing and Protecting Joint Production in Trying Times,” author, 2010 A.B.A. Energy Lit. J. (Summer 2010).
B.A., Ouachita Baptist University, 2005, Trustees’ Scholar and Governor’s Distinguished Scholar
J.D., University of Arkansas School of Law, 2008, with honors; Editorial Board, Journal of Food Law & Policy
LL.M., Energy & Natural Resources Law, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2009
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP Counsel D.J. Beaty has been selected to participate in the Institute for Energy Law’s (IEL’s) 2020-2021 Leadership Class. Designed for energy professionals, the IEL Leadership Class comprises 42 individuals who are diverse in job type, experience, industry representation, gender, race, and ethnicity. After applying, D.J. was selected by a committee to participate in the four [...]