Jeffrey Becker is one of only 11 U.S. trademark attorneys who has been repeatedly, nationally recognized by World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000, Globe Publishing, Ltd. (2011-2021) for his experience in trademark law and for having the rare combination of both “Prosecution and Strategy” and “Enforcement and Litigation” skill. Additionally, Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners (2004-2021) has ranked Jeff as one of the country’s top trademark lawyers for almost 20 years. Jeff is praised by clients as “an invaluable resource who handles routine and out-of-the-ordinary matters adeptly.” (WTR 1000, 2019) who is also "extremely cost-effective" (WTR 1000, 2021).
Jeff served as the chair of the firm’s Trademark Practice Group for over a decade, and prior to that served as head of the firm’s entire Intellectual Property and Technology Transactions Section, helping to build the firm’s trademark practice into one of the best in the country as recognized by World Trademark Review (2012-2021). Jeff focuses his practice on the legal aspects of brand management, including clearing their marks for use, registering those marks in the U.S. and abroad, managing domain name acquisitions, commercializing marks through licenses and merchandising agreements, assessing infringement risks, enforcing their trademark rights against others and defending them against allegations of infringement. A significant amount of Jeff’s time is spent on litigating oppositions and cancellations within the U.S. Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), where Jeff has repeatedly served as lead counsel for large brand owners such as AT&T and Halliburton.
Jeff’s value to clients stems from his “devot[ion] to his clients’ interests” and his ability to provide “exceptional, comprehensive advice[.]” (WTR 1000, 2013). Jeff is especially “great at finding solutions early on[.]” (Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2014). As an experienced copyright lawyer and a registered patent attorney, Jeff combines his experience in trademark matters with his patent and copyright experience to assist clients in the overall protection of their products, and clearing those products before launch, especially in the areas of design patent, copyright and trade dress. Jeff’s commitment to keeping abreast of emerging issues affecting trademarks and brands owners also enables Jeff to counsel clients on new concerns affecting their businesses.
Although Jeff stresses an approach to brand management designed to avoid litigation, when the need for litigation does arise, Jeff’s clients benefit from his ability to prepare in advance with plans designed to bring cases to a quick and efficient resolution. Jeff’s keen foresight and attention to detail in this area make him “a formidable adversary in litigation[.]” (Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2014).
Jeff has been active with the International Trademark Association (INTA) for decades. In 2007, INTA awarded Jeff with its prestigious Volunteer Service Award for the Advancement of Committee Objectives for his work in developing programming for trademark law adjunct professors. For the following six years, Jeff coordinated industry training seminars for the government trademark examiners in the U.S. Trademark Office and in IMPI, the Mexican Intellectual Property Office. Jeff is now part of INTA's Law Firm Committee, focused on effective use of technology to improve law firm service and efficiency.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- International Trademark Association
- Grant Halliburton Foundation
- Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum
- Nationally recognized in The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, World Trademark Review 1000, Globe Business Publishing Ltd., 2011-2021
- Recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Intellectual Property: Trademark and Copyright (Texas), 2004-2021; Band 1: 2010-2015
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright and Trade Secrets in Chambers Global, Chambers and Partners, 2013-2018
- Recognized in WTR Global Leaders: Private Practice, Law Business Research, 2019-2021
- Recognized as a 2022 "Lawyer of the Year" in Technology Law in Dallas/Fort Worth by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Litigation - Intellectual Property and Technology Law, 2010-2022; Intellectual Property and Trademark Law, 2012-2022
- Recognized for “Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)”, Legal 500, 2021
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer, WIPR Leaders, Newton Media Ltd., 2017-2019, 2022
- Recognized by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, as a "Best Lawyer in Dallas" for Intellectual Property, 2007-2009, 2011, 2016, 2018-2020
- Listed in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2003-2021
- Recognized in Trademarks in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, Euromoney Legal Media Group, 2018
- Recognized in Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, as an IP Star, 2019-2022; Trademark Star in Texas, 2017, 2022; "Highly Recommended" IP Star, 2015
- Recognized as a "2015 Lawyer of the Year" in Technology Law by Best Lawyers, Woodward/White, Inc., 2015
- AV Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1990, with honors; Order of the Coif; Legal Research Board
Mechanical Engineer, B.S.M.E., University of Texas at Austin, 1987, with high honors; University of Texas College Scholar
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Haynes and Boone, LLP has been honored as one of the nation’s Top 12, “Gold-Tiered” trademark firms in the 2022 edition of the World Trademark Review 1000 directory. Additionally, the firm was ranked as one of two Gold-tiered firms in Texas and as a Top 20 trademark firm in New York. Gold ranked firms are the “crème de la crème,” WTR said, lavishing Haynes Boone’s Trademark Practice Group with [...]