As the co-chair of our Trademark and Advertising Practice Group, David Bell advises multinational corporations and emerging companies, providing knowledgeable and creative counseling and protection for their brands.
Clients turns to David to build and enforce trademark applications and other intangible assets worldwide. This includes through litigation, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, foreign legal proceedings, and administrative domain name proceedings. He also has extensive experience with international and complex trademark clearance searches. With a robust depth of trade dress knowledge, David clears and protects designs for products, packaging, and service businesses, including for footwear, apparel, foods and beverages, cosmetics, and restaurants.
Ranked in the gold tier of trademark lawyers in Texas in World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 (Law Business Research), David’s clients tout him as "uniquely poised to consider alternate approaches to complex problems" (2023) and "a reliable source of trademark wisdom who is responsive to the ever-changing requirements of his clients" (2019). Clients also describe David as being "incredibly dedicated and always prepared to go the extra mile to assist" (2017) and note his "work capacity is remarkable, and he always delivers top-quality advice and outcomes" (2018).
David founded the firm's Social Media Practice Group, one of the first interdisciplinary practices in the field. He is regularly asked to speak and write on an array of intellectual property topics and has more than 50 speeches and published works to his name.
- International Trademark Association, Publications Committee Member; Planning Committee Member for 2013 and 2018 Annual Meetings and 2014 Leadership Meeting; Project Team Leader for Academic Committee, 2014-2015; Subcommittee Chair for Online Reference Committee, 2012-2013
- Youth with Faces, Board of Directors, 2019-present
- State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Recognized as a leader in Trademarks, Lexology Client Choice Awards, Lexology, 2022
- Ranked among the top trademark lawyers in Texas in World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000, Globe Business Publishing Ltd., 2012-2023. According to WTR, “few do a better job at counseling clients on technology and branding issues, or on customer service orientation.”
- Recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Intellectual Property: Trademark and Copyright (Texas), 2021-2023.
- Recognized in Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, as an IP Star, 2019-2023.
- Recognized in WTR Global Leaders: Private Practice, Law Business Research, 2019-2023
- Recognized for “Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)”, Legal 500, 2021-2022.
- Sole recipient of the International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology Client Choice award for Texas in the Intellectual Property: Trademarks category, Globe Business Publishing Ltd, 2017.
- Received the inaugural 2013 International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology Client Choice award for Texas in the Intellectual Property: Designs and Trade Secrets category, Globe Business Publishing Ltd, 2013.
- Highlighted for ten years in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2006-2012, 2015-2018.
- “Unanimous Supreme Court Finds Rogers Test Does Not Apply When Trademark Is Used As Source Identifier,” co-author, Haynes Boone client alert, June 8, 2023.
- “Hashing Out IP And Legality Questions On Delta-8 THC”, co-author, Law360, March 11, 2021.
- “Hashtag Trademarks: Legal and Practical Implications of Use by Brand Owners or Third Parties,” co-presenter, Strafford CLE Webinar, March 11, 2020.
- "Alternative Intellectual Property Rights as a Means of Protecting Logos and Designs Globally," speaker, 2016 Trademark Administrators and Practitioners (TMAP) Meeting, September 15, 2016.
- "Guarding Your Brand: Trademarks Tips, Insights and Strategies," speaker, Bloomberg BNA Webinar, June 11, 2015.
- "Schemers, Scammers, and Swindlers," moderator, INTA Leadership Meeting, November 13, 2014.
- "Social Media Guidance to Financial Institutions," co-author, Social Media for Financial Services, Sprinklr, June 30, 2014.
- "Social Media Accounts and Ownership Rights," author, Corporate Counsel Review, Journal of the Corporate Counsel Section for the State Bar of Texas, May 2014.
- "Who Owns What? Social Media Account Ownership," presenter, Austin Advertising Federation District Convention, April 19, 2014.
- "Biz Experts: Make Sure You're the Master of your Domain," co-author, Austin Business Journal, November 8, 2013.
- "Whose Content Is It Anyway? IP Issues in Social Media," speaker, INTA Roundtable Discussion, October 17, 2013.
- "GoDaddy Cybersquatting Case May Affect Parked Web Pages," co-author, Law360, August 19, 2013.
- "Corporate Practice Series Portfolio No. 91, Social Media Law," author, Bloomberg BNA, August 1, 2013.
- "Expert Q&A on Employer Ownership of Social Media Accounts," author, Practical Law Company, July 17, 2013.
- "Social Media Accounts and Ownership Rights," speaker, State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Law Section Annual Meeting, June 21, 2013.
- "Protecting Trade Dress of Service Businesses," group discussion leader, INTA Annual Meeting, May 8, 2013.
- "Don't Be Left Standing at the Courtroom Door," author, Managing IP guest article, April 22, 2013.
- "Ethics and Social Media," speaker, Ethical Principles for Corporate Counsel Seminar, Dallas, TX, April 4, 2013.
- "U.S. Supreme Court Says 'Enough, Already' - Nike's Broad Covenant Not To Sue Mooted Its Competitor's Cancellation Counterclaim," co-author with Alan Wechsler, Intellectual Property Today, April 3, 2013.
- A Look at Proposed FFIEC Guidance: "Social Media: Consumer Compliance Risk Management Guidance," co-author, The Banking Law Journal, April 2013.
- Quoted in "Business Law Firms Invade the Blogosphere," author, Texas Lawbook, March 26, 2013.
- "State Supreme Court Decision Offers First Amendment Guidance for Attorney-Bloggers," author, Social Media Law Brief, March 12, 2013.
- "#Transparency: Twitter Modifies its DMCA Procedure to Point Out Copyright Complaints," author, Social Media Law Brief, November 19, 2012.
- "Facebook Sued over Newly Launched 'Want' Button," author, Social Media Law Brief, October 15, 2012.
- "Hot Topics in Social Media," presenter, SMU Dedman School of Law 20th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium, October 5, 2012.
- Quoted in Lawyers.com article, "Guess What - You Don't Own Your Tweets," contributor, July 10, 2012.
- "A Picture is Now Worth 800 Million Users," author, Social Media Law Brief, May 11, 2012.
- "Fraud Allegations Sour Apple’s Promises That Its App Store Is Secure," author, Social Media Law Brief, March 27, 2012.
- "Peeved with Biebs: Justin Bieber Sued over Joustin’ Beaver Game App," author, Social Media Law Brief, February 28, 2012.
- "Protecting and Enforcing the Brand," speaker, AT&T Legal Conference, February 16, 2012.
- "All A-Twitter: When Someone Else Owns the Twitter Username for Your New Brand," author, Social Media Law Brief, February 16, 2012.
- "Privacy Inquiries into Facebook Europe," co-author, Social Media Delivered, January 20, 2012.
- "Tips for Addressing Brand Misuse While Mitigating PR Backlash," author, Social Media Marketing Magazine, December 14, 2011.
- "See No Facebook Speak No Facebook (or Twitter): Interesting Social Media Restrictions in Europe," author, Social Media Law Brief, December 5, 2011.
- "Spirits: The Original Social Media and Its Limits," author, Social Media Law Brief, December 5, 2011.
- "Students and Social Media: The Supreme Court Could Decide Whether Schools May Punish Off-Campus Online Speech," author, Social Media Law Brief, December 5, 2011.
- "Watch Your Language: When Cease-and-Desist Letters Go Viral," author, PR News, September 21, 2011.
- "Social Media, Speech And The Schoolhouse" co-author with Nick Nelson, Law360, August 11, 2011.
- "Proper Use of Trademarks in Advertising and Product Packaging," INTA Roundtable Discussion, July 22, 2011.
- "Social Media for the CEO," speaker, May 19, 2011.
- "Brand Protection Is An App-solute Must," co-author with Hope Hughes, Law360, April 22, 2011.
- "One Bad App Spoils the Bunch: Brand Protection in the App Era" co-author, Texas Bar Journal, March 2011.
- "Taking Search Strategies to the Next Level," speaker, INTA Trademark Administrators Conference, October 4, 2010.
- "Selecting and Launching a Brand," author, State Bar of Texas, IP Section, Annual Meeting, June 11, 2010.
- "Protecting Brands from Scams – Ideas for Addressing Online and Email Infringement," group discussion leader, INTA Annual Meeting, May 26, 2010.
- "United States Patent and Trademark Office Rules on Deposing Non-U.S. Resident Executives in Trademark Proceedings," co-author, Lexology, April 14, 2010.
- "Google AdWords Decision Issued by the European Court of Justice," co-author, Lexology, March 25, 2010.
- "Another Detour? Steer Internet Traffic to Your Sites by Registering .CO Domains," co-author, Haynes and Boone, February 2, 2010.
- "Policing Trademarks on the Internet and Web 2.0" and "Quick Tips for Monitoring and Enforcement of Web 2.0 Content," contributor, INTA Roundtable Discussion, January 21, 2010.
B.A., Emory University, 1999
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2002
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
The Media and Entertainment Practice Group of Haynes and Boone, LLP represents a broad range of clients in all facets of media and entertainment, intellectual property, open government and First Amendment litigation, counseling and legislative matters. View the full version of the June 2023 Media, Entertainment and First Amendment Newsletter. Is This the Real Deal? Legal Issues Around Artificial I [...]