A veteran trial lawyer, Ron Breaux has represented companies in mission-critical litigation and investigations for more than three decades.
Ron chairs the firm's Privacy and Data Security Practice Group and serves on Haynes and Boone’s Board of Directors.
As one of the most experienced litigators in the Dallas market in a number of key practice areas, Ron is retained by clients because of his sound judgment and detailed knowledge of complex commercial litigation; products liability; internal and governmental investigations; securities, healthcare and environmental fraud; antitrust; and data security. He has tried bench and jury trials and argued critical motions in venues across the country, including state, federal and bankruptcy courts.
In 2019, for example, Ron led a Haynes and Boone team that represented popular specialty retailer Spec’s Family Partners in winning a case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit that set important limitations on the liability of merchants who have been victimized by data breaches.
Ron has experience leading national teams of lawyers in multi-jurisdictional litigation. For example, Ron currently leads a national team defending product liability lawsuits asserted throughout the United States against a major manufacturer of highway products. Ron has worked on other multi-jurisdictional teams in national litigation and is regarded for his judgment, leadership, and collaborative work style.
Ron has received widespread recognition for his litigation prowess, including: The Best Lawyers in America 2021 (antitrust law, commercial litigation, criminal defense: white-collar, litigation – antitrust); D Magazine’s 2020 Best Lawyers (criminal defense: white collar); and Texas Super Lawyers 2019 (antitrust litigation). In its 2020 directory, Chambers USA ranked Ron among the leading lawyers in Texas in antitrust and white-collar litigation and investigations, stating: “The ‘terrific’ Ronald Breaux has a broad white-collar practice, which includes advising clients in connection with internal investigations and regulatory enforcement. He offers experience in fraud and antitrust-related cases.” In its 2021 directory, Chambers USA stated: “He does a lot of work in different areas. He’s smart and has good people skills” and “is highly thought of and very capable.”
In 2020, the President of the American Bar Association (ABA) appointed Ron as a special advisor to the ABA’s Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary, the 15-member group that performs the critical task of evaluating the professional qualifications of all nominees to the U.S. Supreme Court and other federal appellate and trial courts.
- Lead national counsel in products liability lawsuits throughout the United States.
- Lead counsel in civil and criminal antitrust investigations and litigation for construction products producer across multiple jurisdictions.
- Internal investigation of data security breach at high profile specialty retailer that implicated payment card information and personal identifying information; counsel client on numerous post-breach issues including disclosure obligations, public disclosure, negotiation of fraud recovery and operational reimbursement fines and penalties with card brands, and related counseling regarding collateral litigation; counsel client on insurance coverage for breach-related expenses.
- Internal investigation and remediation of a data security breach at a Fortune 50 company; civil prosecution of entity responsible for the security breach.
- Investigation of criminal spear-phishing attack used to steal funds from public oilfield services technology company; direct forensic investigation of attack; counsel client on disclosure obligations and remediation efforts.
- Tried to favorable verdict antitrust and RICO action for national health care provider.
- Successful defense of corporate executives in numerous civil and criminal international cartel litigation.
- Successful defense of hedge funds and executives in numerous insider trading investigations by the SEC.
- Successful defense of CEO of public company in stock options backdating lawsuit by the SEC.
- ABA Litigation Section
- Former Managing Director
- Former Council Member
- Former Co-Chair, Antitrust Litigation Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Task Force on the Judiciary
- Dallas Bar Association
- Former Antitrust Section, Chairman
- Former Criminal Justice Section
- Recognized as a "Lawyer of the Year" in Antitrust Litigation by Best Lawyers, Woodward/White, Inc., 2015, 2018, and 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc. - Antitrust Law, 2006, 2010, 2012-2023, Litigation - Antitrust, 2012-2023, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2014-2023, Commercial Litigation, 2016-2023, and Commercial Antitrust, 2016-2017
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners, as one of the leading practitioners for Antitrust in the United States, 2008-2014; in Texas, 2015-2022; and in Texas, White Collar, 2018-2022
- Included in the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America guide, 2023
- Recognized in "Best Lawyers in Dallas" by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, for White Collar Defense, Antitrust Law, 2011, and White Collar, 2016, 2018-2020, Securities Litigation & Enforcement, 2021-2022
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters - Antitrust Litigation, 2010-2020, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Business Litigation, 2011-2016 and 2021-2022
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™
- "Practical Guidance for Preparedness and Response," speaker, The University of Texas Law School 2016 Essential Cybersecurity Law Conference, August 19, 2016.
- "How to Succeed in SEC Administrative Proceedings: 10 Insider Tips," presenter, Bloomberg BNA Webinar, November 5, 2015.
- "Cybersecurity: Proactive Steps to Minimize Liability," presenter, University of Texas Government Enforcement Institute in Dallas, Texas, May 14, 2015.
- "Cyber Attacks - Are You Prepared?" presentation to public and private clients in Dallas, April 14, 2015.
- "Practical Tips on Preventing, Managing, and Insuring for Data Breaches,” panelist, Houston Cybersecurity panel, February 18, 2015.
- "Data Security Law: Predictions for 2015," The Privacy Advisor, January 27, 2015.
- "Cybersecurity for In House Counsel: Protecting Your Digital Assets in Today’s Threat Landscape," presenter Haynes and Boone clients, January 22, 2015.
- "A Focus on Cybersecurity Litigation Risks and Liabilities," presenter, the General Counsel Forum, November 6, 2014.
- "A Guide to Data Protection and Breach Response—Part 2," author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 26, No. 8, August 2014.
- "A Guide to Data Protection and Breach Response—Part 1," author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 7, No. 3, July 2014.
- "What You Need to Know About Data Security and Cyber Insurance: Practical tips on preparing for and responding to a cyber security breach," presented to public and private company clients, Dallas, Texas, June 26, 2014.
- Presentation to Bank of America Private Client Group on Cybersecurity and Cyber Loss Prevention on May 7, 2014.
- "Cyber Liability and Loss Seminar," presented to public and private company clients, Austin, Texas, April 22, 2014.
- "Best Practices in Trade Secrets Litigation," presented to public company and private company clients in Dallas/Forth Worth, Texas.
- "Anti-Corruption Compliance: A Focus on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," presenter, the Institute for Internal Auditors.
- "Cyber Security for Law Firms," presenter, Law Firm Data Security Roundtable.
- "Under Penalty": Production of Documents in Response to Federal Grand Jury Subpoenas, presenter, Corporate Counsel Section of the State Bar of Texas.
- "Protecting Your Privileges: The Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrine," presenter, Haynes and Boone clients.
- "Issues in White Collar Criminal Investigations," presenter, DFW Chapter of the American Corporate Counsel Association.
- "Parallel Civil and Criminal Proceedings: How Deep is Deep?" presenter, Corporate Counsel Section of the State Bar of Texas.
- "Ethical Considerations in Internal Corporate Investigations," presenter, Corporate Counsel Section of the State Bar of Texas.
- "Indirect Purchaser Litigation Handbook," co-editor, ABA Section of Antitrust Law.
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1989, SMU Law Review, 1987-1989
B.S., Louisiana State University, 1986
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Lawdragon has included seven Haynes and Boone, LLP Lawyers from four offices in the inaugural 2023 edition of the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America guide: Kit Addleman, David Ammons, Ron Breaux, Nina Cortell, Ben Mesches, Laura O’Donnell, and Leslie Thorne. The guide features “all-star litigators” from 100 firms who excel in representing corporations and other organizations in litigatin [...]
Haynes Boone’s White-Collar Crime, Investigations Receives Band 1 Ranking in Chambers USA 2022 DirectoryJune 14, 2022