Tom Chen is an experienced patent attorney who prides himself in being trusted and valued by his clients. Tom is dedicated to going above and beyond the standard attorney-client relationship by providing quality patent counsel and by taking the time to learn about the true business goals, strategies, and ambitions of his clients. Clients value Tom for his technical understanding and strategy with regard to their specific patent issues.
Under Tom’s lead, the firm handles patent matters for start-ups to Fortune 100 companies. Tom plays a major role in not just expanding his client’s patent portfolio, but more importantly maximizing its value to his clients. He provides his opinion and analysis, at least weekly, on patent related matters for his clients and regularly works with a large number of inventors, as well as various in-house counsel.
Tom’s experience is founded on multiple advanced degrees in electrical engineering and significant engineering work at Hughes Aircraft, covers a variety of technologies, including e-commerce, mobile payments, electrical circuits, semiconductor memories/processing, semiconductor equipment, fiber optic and wireless communications, televisions, mechanical devices, Internet-related applications, microprocessors and other computer architecture. Tom’s experience extends to patent litigation as well, including matters before the International Trade Commission and district courts. He has been involved in all phases of litigation, including discovery, depositions, expert reports and briefs.
Tom has presented alongside key decision makers from his clients’ companies, which has helped Tom strengthen his deep understanding of his clients’ core values. Additionally, he has written on various intellectual property issues and risk management, Supreme Court patent decisions and issues before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Aside from Tom being a skilled and insightful intellectual property attorney and member of the firm’s board of directors, he is co-chair of Haynes and Boone's Attorney Diversity and Inclusion Committee, which focuses on advancing the hiring, retention and promotion of diverse lawyers within the firm. Tom advocates the importance and necessity of a diverse law firm and truly strives to make Haynes and Boone a leader in law firm diversity. Tom is also a member of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association where he attends events and contributes to meaningful initiatives.
Tom was selected by the Daily Journal, Daily Journal Corporation, as one of the 2016 Top 100 Lawyers in California. Tom was also listed in Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, Globe White Page Ltd, 2018-2021. Tom was recognized in Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, as an IP Star in 2019-2021. He was also named in the Lawyers of Color’s inaugural “Nation’s Best” list which recognizes 100 firm partners and senior-level corporate counsel for noteworthy accomplishments and their commitment to diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
- In re Certain GPS Chips, Associated Software and Systems, and Products Containing Same (337-TA-596): Represented complainant SiRF Technology, Inc. in a patent infringement matter before the ITC involving global positioning system (GPS) technology.
- In re Field Programmable Gate Arrays (337-TA-441): Represented complainant Xilinx, Inc. in a patent infringement case involving field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
- SiRF Technology v. u-Nav Microelectronics Corporation (USDC ND Cal): Represented SiRF Technology in a patent infringement case involving global positioning system (GPS) technology.
- UPI Semiconductor Corporation v. Richtek Technology Corporation (CA State and USDC ND Cal): Represented UPI Semiconductor in a patent infringement case involving power management integrated circuits.
- Advisory Board of the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession (IILP)
- Asian Law Alliance Advisory Board
- State Bar of California, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Orange County Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- “Drafting and Prosecution Under Current Section 101 Guidance: Technology,” presenter, 14th Annual Advanced Patent Law Institute, Alexandria, VA, March 21, 2019.
- “Recent USPTO Guidance on 35 U.S.C. § 101,” speaker, AT&T Legal Summit for AT&T in house lawyers and outside counsel, Middletown, NJ, September 13, 2018.
- “The Hybrid In-House/Outside Counsel Patent Prosecution Model – What Works,” speaker, 4th Annual IP Strategy Summit, Orange County, CA, March 6, 2018.
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 1996, cum laude; Editor, Pepperdine Law Review
Electrical Engineer, Engineer Degree, University of Southern California, 1993, Hughes Engineer's Degree Fellowship
M.S., Electrical Engineering, California State University Northridge, 1989
B.S., Physics, University of California Los Angeles, 1985
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partners Tom Chen, Theresa Conduah, and Vera Suarez were featured prominently in World IP Review’s (WIPR) 2021 diversity issue. Below are excerpts of the publication. Chen was quoted in an article titled “The Need for Action” that examines WIPR’s global survey of its readers regarding the prevalence and importance of diversity and inclusion initiatives at their organization [...]