Calmann has represented clients in over sixty post-grant proceedings in a wide variety of technologies. Calmann’s experience includes representing both petitioners and patent owners in inter partes review proceedings, as well as requestors and patent owners in ex parte reexamination. Calmann’s practice includes multiple aspects of PTAB trials including preparing petitions, working with experts, taking and defending depositions, presenting oral arguments before the Board, and more. Relying on his extensive patent prosecution experience and background in electrical engineering, Calmann excels at developing strong invalidity positions for petitioners and patentability positions for patent owners.
Calmann has prepared and prosecuted several hundred patent applications. Calmann worked as a patent agent before and throughout law school. Part of Calmann’s strength in patent prosecution is his ability to quickly understand new technologies and to appreciate inventive concepts without requiring a substantial amount of the inventor’s time.
Calmann’s patent experience covers a wide variety of complex technical fields. Representative technical fields include computer hardware systems such as processor and memory systems, software applications such as user interfaces and compilers, cloud computing technologies such as virtualization and database management, networking systems such as transport protocols and network virtualization, telecommunication systems, circuits, semiconductor fabrication, medical technologies such as surgical devices and imaging systems, and more.
Outside of law practice, Calmann enjoys listening to, writing, and recording rock music. Calmann also enjoys reading and learning about new technologies, particularly electric and autonomous vehicle technology.
- Recognized as one of the "Top 100 Most Active Attorneys" representing petitioners in Patexia Inc.'s PTAB Intelligence Report, 2023
- Recognized as one of the "Top 100 Best Performing Attorneys" representing petitioners in Patexia Inc.'s PTAB Intelligence Report, 2023
- Recognized as one of the "Top 100 Best Performing Attorneys" representing petitioners or patent owners in Patexia Inc.'s PTAB Intelligence Report, 2023
- “Good for the Gander: Patent Owners Face IPR Estoppel, Too,” co-author, The Patent Law. 8-10, Sep.-Oct. 2020.
- “PTAB Discretionary Institution and Parallel Petitions,” co-author, The Patent Law. 30-3, Mar.-Apr. 2020.
J.D., George Washington University Law School, 2013
Electrical Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 2009
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Agent
Haynes and Boone, LLP and nine of its lawyers are included in the 2023 edition of Patexia Inc.’s PTAB Intelligence Report on the nation’s leaders in all proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Among the report’s highlights are a number of improved standings: Haynes Boone ranked as the seventh most active firm overall (representing petitioners or patent owners); the sixth best [...]