John Collins has more than 40 years experience in several areas of tax practice, including estate planning, family wealth planning, charitable organizations, and employee benefits and executive compensation matters. He has been recognized as one of the best trusts and estates lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners (2010-2017, 2019-2022); a Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters (2003-2020); and he is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., in Employee Benefits Law and Trusts and Estates (2005-2023). John is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
John is a contributor to Haynes and Boone's Practical Benefits Lawyer blog, which discusses issues and developments in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation.
Professional and Community Activities
- Immediate Past Chair, Methodist Health System (Dallas)
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Estate and personal tax planning for individuals and families, including succession planning for closely-held businesses, establishment of charitable trusts and foundations, and family limited partnerships.
- Family wealth planning, including the numerous sophisticated strategies to minimize estate, gift and generation skipping transfer taxes.
- Representing public charities and private foundations in connection with governance issues, unrelated business taxable income (UBTI), conflicts of interest, and other tax and exemption issues.
- Employment agreements, severance agreements, code section 162(m) and golden parachute issues, and incentive bonus plans.
- Design and implementation of all types of equity compensation plans, including stock options, restricted stock, ESOPs, qualified employee stock purchase plans, phantom stock, and stock appreciation rights.
- Planning transactions involving the use of ESOPs in corporate finance and restructuring, representing and advising fiduciaries, and representing borrowers and lenders in pension plan transactions.
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1975, with honors; Texas Law Review, 1973-1975
B.A., Duke University, 1972, with honors
D Magazine featured 35 Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers across multiple practice areas in its 2022 Best Lawyers in Dallas listing. Lawyers in the directory are nominated by their peers for their unparalleled counsel. They represent the people and institutions of Dallas with mastery and drive, according to D Magazine. A select panel of lawyers evaluates the nominations to finalize the list. The fo [...]