Terry has served as the chair of the firm’s Finance Practice, the firm’s Financial Partner, and the firm’s Managing Partner.
Terry has more than 40 years of experience practicing in the area of business transactions, including oil and gas, finance, leveraged lending, syndicated lending, margin loans, loan restructuring/workouts and technology transactions. Terry has handled more than 100 energy-based finance transactions, including loans secured by or involving oil and gas production, pipelines, drilling rigs, refineries, and storage facilities. He has been an adjunct professor of commercial law at Southern Methodist University School of Law, a Director of the Texas Association of Bank Counsel, the co-editor of the Matthew Bender Commercial Loan Documentation Guide, the co-chair of the Southern Methodist University Law School Commercial Lending Institute, a lecturer on business law at The University of Texas at Dallas, a member of the State of Texas Science and Technology Council appointed by then-Governor Bush and a member of Texas' Expanded Learning Opportunities Council.
A dedicated supporter of organizations dedicated to improving the quality of education for our youth, Terry serves on numerous boards and actively helps such organizations as Social Venture Partners, Educate Dallas, Dallas Afterschool, Texas Partnership for Out-of-School Time, SMU in Taos Executive Board, University of Texas at Dallas School of Management Advisory Council, Baylor Scott & White Healthcare Foundation, The Dickey Foundation, and Millicent Rogers Museum.
Terry has written and spoken extensively in the areas of energy finance, loan restructures, suretyship, usury, commercial transactions and law firm strategy and leadership, and has been published in the Texas Law Review, Texas Tech Law Review, St. Mary's Law Review, Banking Law Journal and Texas Bar Journal.
- University of Texas at Dallas School of Management Advisory Council
- Social Venture Partners, Dallas
- SMU-In-Taos Executive Board
- Dallas Afterschool, Board of Directors
- Texas Partnership for Out-of-School Time
- The Dickey Foundation, Board of Directors
- Millicent Rogers Museum, Taos, New Mexico, Board of Directors
- Dallas County Aim Court, Pre-Trial Diversion Program, Advisory Board
- Baylor Scott & White Healthcare Foundation Board of Directors
- Business Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, in Banking, 2003-2016
- Named one of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., in Banking and Finance Law, 2009-2017
- Voted one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, in Corporate Finance/Mergers & Acquisitions, 1997, 2007-2009, 2011, 2014-2015 and Banking and Finance, 2016
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1975, with honors, Notes and Comments Editor, Texas Law Review
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1972