Ricardo Davidovich represents investment managers and investment funds in all aspects of their lifecycles and business operations including structuring, formation, seed capital arrangements, ongoing compliance issues, marketing and capital raising, registrations, trading issues and regulatory examinations, and investigations. Having advised institutional investors, fund managers, and investment managers for more than 25 years, Ric knows what’s market and has a multi-dimensional view of all aspects of investment transactions. He brings this range of experience and keen insight to his work structuring, analyzing, reviewing, and negotiating investments. Ric’s clients include emerging managers, start-ups, and multi-billion dollar managers and funds.
Both U.S. and non-U.S. clients turn to Ric for advice on matters relating to the U.S. Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the U.S. Investment Company Act of 1940, and the Commodity Exchange Act, as well as SEC, FINRA, NFA, CFTC, and Blue Sky compliance issues.
Clients appreciate Ric’s business-minded advice and creative problem solving. One longtime client notes, “Ric brings a remarkable balance of skills to his practice of law. Yes, he knows his subject matter, but he also understands the practical realities of business and regulatory issues.” Another observes that “the major factor that makes him different is that he is an astute businessman” who “really helps grow your business, keeps you out of trouble and knows how to fix things when something goes wrong.” Clients describe Ric as “a true fiduciary of the highest caliber.” His responsive and practical approach has made him a “go-to” lawyer in the alternative asset space.
Ric is a frequent lecturer and panelist at industry conferences, where he is called upon to discuss regulatory and fund structuring issues.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Hedge Fund Subcommittee
- New York Bar State Association
- “Global Regulatory Update," speaker, Goldman Sachs Third Annual Hedge Fund Legal and Regulatory Seminar, March 21, 2017.
- “U.S. Legal Issues for Brazilian Fund Managers,” panelist, Credit Suisse 2017 Prime Services Leadership Conference, New York, March 9, 2017.
- "Hedge Fund Performance Advertising: Recent SEC Enforcements on Use of Performance Numbers," author, The Hedge Fund Journal, July-August 2016.
- "Global Regulatory Update," speaker, Goldman Sachs Second Annual Prime Services GC/CCO Conference, March 1, 2016.
- "The Force Awakens," speaker, 2016 Cayman Alternatives Investment Summit, February 5, 2016.
- "Kinetic Partners: New York Launch of the Global Regulatory Outlook 2015," speaker, October 29, 2014.
- "The Hedge Fund Series: Launch and Strategy Sessions," author, HedgeAnswers, March 2014, November and September 2013.
- "How to Start a Hedge Fund," speaker, February 4, 2014.
- "Understanding the Regulatory Regime Governing the Use of Social Media by Hedge Fund Managers and Broker-Dealers," author, The Hedge Fund Law Report, Vol. 5 No. 47, December 13, 2012.
- 4th Annual Global Fund Domiciles Seminar, IFI Global, October 3, 2012.
- GAIM Ops Conference Cayman 2012, International Centre for Business Information, April 2012.
- GAIM USA Conference 2011, International Centre for Business Information, January 2012.
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1993
B.A., Binghamton University State University of New York, 1990
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partner Ricardo Davidovich talked with U.S. News & World Report about the Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC’s) updates to its decades-old rules about investment advisor marketing, Here is an excerpt: The ruling now allows endorsements and testimonials, with some restrictions. Advertisements must prominently and clearly disclose whether the person giving the endorsemen [...]