Alberto de la Peña heads the Mexico and International Practice Groups and is a member of the Board of Directors of Haynes and Boone. Alberto is licensed to practice law in Mexico, Texas and New York, with more than 26 years of experience in advising companies doing business in Mexico and Latin America.
Alberto is a transactional lawyer with an international litigation background. He has successfully assisted clients in complex projects and legal matters regarding Mexico and Latin America, including, NAFTA/USMCA related matters, strategic M&A, secured transactions, international funds, energy and infrastructure, antitrust investigations, hospitality, real estate, aviation and maritime law, telecommunications, manufacturing, franchising and distribution, compliance, litigation strategy, workouts and international law.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in Mexico, Woodward/White, Inc., 2019
- Recognized as a Stand-out Lawyer, Acritas Stars, Acritas, 2018-2021
- Latin Lawyer 250, Law Business Research Ltd. – Corporate/M&A, 2016
- Chambers Global, Chambers and Partners – Corporate/M&A: Mexico, 2013
- Represented public and private companies in complex mergers and acquisitions transactions in Mexico and Latin America.
- Represented clients in contractual, transactional and regulatory work in the energy sector in Mexico.
- Assisted client in a $100 million joint venture in Mexico in the oil and gas sector.
- Represented the lenders in vessel financings in Mexico.
- Represented international airline in Mexico and Latin America.
- Represented American and Canadian banks and companies in international financing, including lending to, and obtaining security interests in, Mexican companies and assets.
- Represented public and private telecommunications carrier in Mexico regulatory and transactional matters.
- Represented a U.S. public company in the issuance of a multi-million dollar debt in connection with Mexican legal regulations and antitrust compliance.
- Represented public and private companies in internal compliance matters.
- Represented U.S. public company in the acquisition and servicing of distressed loan portfolios in Mexico and Latin America.
- Represented franchisors in corporate transactional work, regulatory, administrative filings, and trademark infringement procedures in Mexico.
- Represented clients acquiring commercial and industrial real estate in Mexico, including hospitality.
- Represented Mexican public and private companies with operations in the United States.
- Represented U.S. public companies and the Mexican government in cross-border litigation matters.
- Assisted arbitrator in NAFTA international arbitration regarding NAFTA regulations and commercial law.
- University of Houston Center for U.S. and Mexican Law, U.S. Advisory Board Member
- Mexican Bar
- State Bar of Texas
- New York State Bar
- U.S. Mexico Bar Association - Former Board Member
- Joint University of North Texas – Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México Program, Former Advisory Board Member
- "Will the USMCA Function Well Amid the Pandemic?" co-author, Latin America Advisor, June 24, 2020.
- "Mexico's Energy Reform: Powering the Future," Rice University, Houston, Texas, October 31, 2013.
- "Infrastructure and Project Finance: Trends and Challenges," moderator, U.S.-Mexico Bar Association Annual Meeting, Mexico City, Mexico, November 8, 2012.
- "Trends in Cross-Border M&A Transactions," moderator, U.S.-Mexico Bar Association Annual Meeting, Mexico City, Mexico, November 4, 2010.
- "Intellectual Property and Legal Compliance: Understanding the North American Free Trade Agreement," United States/Mexico Technology Summit, Dallas, Texas, September 30, 2010.
- "Challenges and Opportunities of Acquiring and Selling Companies in Mexico and Latin America," Hispanic National Bar Association, Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 9, 2010.
- "NAFTA Investment Chapter and Dispute Resolution," SMU Dedman School of Law.
- "NAFTA Investment Chapter and Dispute Resolution," St. Mary's School of Law.
- "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," U.S.-Mexico Bar Association.
- "International Business Transactions," University of Texas at Dallas.
- "Practical Considerations of Doing Business in Mexico," Abilene Bar Association; Beaumont Bar Association.
- "Doing Business in Mexico," Hispanic National Bar Association.
- "Legal Framework for Telecommunications in Mexico," North Texas Global Telecommunications Society.
- "Free Trade Agreement Between Mexico and the European Union," SMU Law and Business Review of the Americas.
- "Legal Framework of the Telecommunications in Mexico: Challenges and Perspectives," Texas Transnational Law Quarterly, Texas Bar Association.
J.D., Escuela Libre de Derecho, 1994, with highest honors
LL.M., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2001
Eighteen Haynes and Boone lawyers have been recognized as stand-out talent for the 2021 Acritas Stars directory, published by Thomson Reuters. This prestigious recognition is based on client nominations and interviews. Acritas maintains a database of lawyers who have been commended by senior in-house counsel in large organizations. Acritas interviews more than 2,300 senior legal buyers worldwide a [...]