Daren R. Domina is a partner in the Investment Management and Private Equity Practice Groups in the New York office of Haynes and Boone and is the head of the Broker-Dealer Regulatory Practice Group. He provides advice to private investment funds, securities broker-dealers, family offices and registered and unregistered investment advisers on a broad range of formation, structuring, registration, regulatory, compliance and inspection/enforcement/litigation matters.
- "FINRA Lays Out Reg BI, Form CRS Shortcomings and Successes," quoted in Financial Planning, February 14, 2022.
- “FINRA to Target Market Makers Over PFOF Conflicts,” quoted in Ignites, February 14, 2022.
- “SEC's New Ad Rule Is Advisors' Top Compliance Challenge: Poll,” quoted in ThinkAdvisor, September 10, 2021.
- “Biden’s Executive Order Could Ease Adviser Moves, But Limit Mega-Mergers,” quoted in Investment News, July 9, 2021.
- “Examining and Managing Risks Associated with Outsourcing Compliance Functions,” co-author, The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation, February 10, 2021.
- “Evaluating and Managing Risks Associated with Outsourcing Compliance,” panelist, MFA Legal & Compliance 2020, July 22, 2020.
- “Reg BI Debuts Under Cloud of Uncertain Enforcement,” quoted in Pensions & Investments, July 13, 2020.
- “Firms Take Microscope to Rev Sources in Reg BI Docs,” quoted in Ignites, July 6, 2020.
- “U.S. Financial Industry Asking SEC to Delay Broker Disclosure Rule, Citing Coronavirus: Sources,” quoted in Reuters, April 2, 2020.
- “Morningstar to SEC: Make Brokers Disclose Rev-Share Details,” quoted in Ignites, November 20, 2019.
- “‘Be Ready’: SEC, Finra Probing Firms' Reg BI Prep,” quoted in Ignites, October 30, 2019.
- “Brokers Face Heavy Lift to Implement Reg BI by Next Year,” quoted in Investment News, June 7, 2019.
- “DOL Could Ride on the Back of Reg BI for Fiduciary Rule; SEC Regulation Eyed as Template, but a Handful of States Aren't Waiting,” quoted in Pensions & Investments, June 24, 2019.
- "SEC Urges Advisers Relying Upon Unibanco No-Action Letters to Submit Certain Documentation," quoted in Hedge Fund Law Report, April 20, 2017.
- "Understanding Investment Adviser Registration and Private Fund Due Diligence," speaker, 10th Annual Emerging Issues Forum, MA Public Employee Retirement Administration Commission, September 18, 2014.
- "Broker-Turned-Adviser Loses Jury Verdict in Misrepresentation Case," quoted in ACA Insight, August 25, 2014.
- "Dually Registered Advisers are Not Excused from Best Execution," quoted in ACA Insight, August 11, 2014.
- "The Secondary Market for Hedge Fund Interests," speaker, New York Family Office - Private Fund Roundtable, June 12, 2013.
- "How and Why Do Hedge Funds Managers Set Minimum Subscription Amounts?" quoted in The Hedge Fund Law Report, Vol. 6, No. 23 & No. 24, June 2013.
- "Protecting Your Assets: Utilizing Custodial Accounts and Brokerage Accounts," speaker, Haynes and Boone Seminar, May 2, 2013.
- "Collateral Protection for Financial Assets: Current Legal Trends," speaker, live webinar/teleconference presented by Strafford Publications, Inc., December 4, 2012.
- "Summary and Analysis of Dodd-Frank Rules for Investment Advisers: Registration Requirements, Exemptions, Family Offices, Performance Fee Eligibility," co-author, Journal of Investment Compliance, New York: Institutional Investor Publications, Vol. 12, No. 4, December 2011.
- "Dodd-Frank Investment Adviser Registration Update," principal speaker, law firm presentation, September 2011.
- "The Final Countdown…It's Time to Prepare for the New Era of Investment Adviser Regulation!" principal speaker, law firm presentation, March 2011.
- "A Practical Guide to Investment Adviser Registration," principal speaker, law firm presentation, November 2010.
- "SEC Adopts Amendments That Overhaul Form ADV Part 2," co-author, Derivatives: Financial Products Report, New York: Thomson Reuters/WG&L, Vol. 12. No. 2, October 2010.
- "Consequences for Global Hedge Fund Managers of the 'Foreign Private Adviser' Exemption Included in the Dodd-Frank Act," quoted in The Hedge Fund Law Report, Vol. 3, No. 33, August 2010.
- "Senate Financial Regulation Bill Requires SEC Registration for Hedge Fund Managers with $100 Million Under Management," co-author, Derivatives: Financial Products Report, New York: Thomson Reuters/WG&L, Vol. 11. No. 10, June 2010.
B.A., Stony Brook University, 1987
J.D., New York Law School, 1991
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partner Daren Domina was quoted in Financial Planning and Ignites discussing Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Regulation Best Interest (BI) and Form CRS compliance. Below are excerpts: Financial Planning: “FINRA Lays Out Reg BI, Form CRS Shortcomings and Successes” A new FINRA analysis finds that the first full year of Reg BI and Form CRS compliance was rife w [...]