Mette Duffy is an associate in the Energy, Power and Natural Resources Practice Group in Haynes Boone’s London office.
Her practice focuses on the energy and offshore shipping industry. Mette advises on tenders, contracts and issues arising on high-value and complex projects in the oil and gas, ship-building, offshore construction, drilling, floating production (particularly FPSO) and oilfield services sectors and on offshore charterparties. Mette has also brought to bear her oil and gas/maritime experience in advising on renewables projects.
Mette is primarily focused on risk avoidance/mitigation. Her transactional work is informed by extensive dispute resolution experience and sound knowledge of where problems typically arise. Mette is at all times focused on helping clients to achieve the best commercial solutions.
Where disputes could not be avoided or resolved at an early stage, Mette has handled heavyweight international proceedings, most recently in the offshore construction and floating production sectors. She has experience of arbitrations under the major rules (LCIA/ICC/LMAA/UNCITRAL) and litigation in the English High Court (Commercial Court/TCC).
Prior to joining Haynes Boone, Mette was a Managing Associate in the Energy & Infrastructure Group of another large international law firm.
- Advised European contractor in respect of an oil and gas field re-development project.
- Acted for JOA participants in English High Court proceedings (Commercial Court) concerning the performance of a drilling rig.
- Represented a client in the Far East on a high-value and technically complex semi-FPS EPCIC dispute concerning variations, defects and delay.
- Acted for a major contractor in the Middle East on a high-value London LCIA arbitration. The dispute concerned termination of a shipbuilding contract for a state of the art heavy lift and pipelay vessel due to design breaches/delay.
- Represented a European buyer regarding the cancellation of two platform supply vessel contracts and recovery under associated refund guarantees.
- Acted for FPSO owner/operator in ICC arbitration in Australia concerning performance issues related to well product and O & M (operations and maintenance) issues.
- Acted for FPSO owner/operator in proceedings in Australia (Supreme Court of New South Wales) against insurers arising from subsea damage to the FPSO’s umbilical.
- Advised a European subsea cable installation contractor on contractual arrangements for a wind farm project.
- Acted for European contractor in a London LCIA arbitration concerning the foundation design of a meteorological mast.
*These representations were handled by Mette prior to joining Haynes Boone.
Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2006
Postgraduate Degree, Law, BPP Law School, 2005
B.A., Modern Languages, Oxford University, 2003
England and Wales
BIMCO has launched SHIPSALE 22, the first solely BIMCO-produced standard form contract for the sale and purchase of vessels, which contract BIMCO describes as “an innovative and comprehensive approach to sale and purchase agreements”. This addition to the BIMCO suite of contracts has undergone extensive industry consultation, in which Haynes Boone participated (many of Haynes Boone’s comments bein [...]