Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
Haynes and Boone’s team of more than 10 lawyers have more than 30 years’ experience in liquefied natural gas (LNG) matters around the world. The firm is positioned to meet all the needs of its clients involved in the LNG industry. We have substantial experience with different types of LNG transactions, as well as related production, import and export facilities, natural gas pipelines, and the sale and purchase of the LNG itself. We regularly represent a wide variety of industry clients in very complex, high value and often challenging LNG matters.
Our highly skilled lawyers in the U.S., the U.K. and Mexico have extensive experience advising on the construction, financing, employment and ownership of LNG carriers and FPSOs. They are also very capable and experienced with the development, financing, and acquisition of complex and high-profile energy, offshore, petrochemical, manufacturing and infrastructure projects. Combined, our global experience provides our clients with a comprehensive and extensive LNG offering with the ability to cover all legal aspects of an LNG project.
As global demand for LNG continues to increase and production soars, more companies need reliable and knowledgeable representation to navigate the challenges involved in the development, operation and maintenance of safe and reliable natural gas facilities.
We provide substantial value to clients in the LNG industry through:
- Representing commercial lenders in providing financing to LNG export facilities.
- Negotiation of LNG-related transportation agreements, including short- and long-term ship charters and railroad transportation and pipeline carriage arrangements.
- Negotiation of FPSO operating agreements.
- Structuring, negotiation and drafting of LNG supply, sale and purchase agreements for major international and national oil and gas companies, financial institutions and utilities.
- Negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts for liquefaction and gasification facilities as well as related pipeline, port, rail and other ancillary infrastructure.
- Negotiation of equity investment arrangements, including joint venture agreements and tax optimization strategies.
- Negotiation of implementation agreements, tax holiday arrangements and other understandings with host national and local governments.
- Advising and assisting in procurement of necessary government licenses and approvals, including environmental permits.
- Structuring and negotiation of finance arrangements, including senior, secured bank credit arrangements, capital markets offerings and stand-by sponsor support agreements.
- Representing owners of LNG carriers and FPSOs in relation to the negotiation of construction contracts, sale and purchase agreements, financing and operating agreements.
Myles Mantle, Andreas Silcher, and Chrysa Kitsou at Haynes and Boone in the UK explore the LNG markets in Latin America and the Caribbean, addressing recent activity and future developments. Latin America and the Caribbean have total proven gas reserves of 8.2 trillion m3, of which 6.3 trillion m3 however are in the politically volatile Venezuela. Trinidad and Tobago, at its GLN Atlantic Complex, [...]