Brad Richards is a member of the Board of Directors. He is an insightful legal problem solver and project leader with global experience. He has a reputation for responding quickly and providing insight and legal acumen while demonstrating very real interest and concern about client needs. Brad also understands how technology intersects with and impacts the energy business. Whether serving as outside general counsel, supporting the financing needs of international banks, advising upstream and offshore energy companies, analyzing the needs of technology companies, providing support for international compliance, or leading by example to members of his own legal team, Brad provides innovative and authoritative solutions with integrity. He is able to draft documents on the fly, negotiate effectively across cultures, and motivate and lead a diverse team of professionals in the furtherance of his clients’ interests.
With more than 30 years of cross-border experience representing international banks, energy companies, entrepreneurs, consultants, service providers, project developers, and foreign investors in projects in the U.S., UK, Japan, China, Indonesia, Nigeria, India, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, and many other countries in Western Europe, South America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and the states of the Former Soviet Union (more than 80 jurisdictions in all), Brad is well-positioned to respond to dynamic transactions involving diverse participants that may change mid-stream and require novel solutions. These tools have enabled Brad to successfully assist clients in developing new projects and restructure and work out existing ones in the U.S. and emerging markets.
He also advises on LNG transportation and development projects. Brad’s experience also includes the restructuring of leases for offshore drilling rigs for drilling operators, the financing of drilling rigs for drilling operators, the financing of offshore platforms for drilling operators, and various other financings for vessels. He also has experience buying and selling drilling rigs, service vessels and other ships. Brad has also served as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Houston, teaching International Business Transactions and International Financial Transactions, and has been an active member in the Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA) for more than 20 years.
Brad's extensive practice as an international corporate and finance lawyer has included:
- Representing developers in project finance facilities, including public-private partnerships.
- Structuring the purchase and sale of ocean-going vessels and drilling rigs.
- Representing developers of infrastructure development projects, including work on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts and project finance facilities to support the projects.
- Negotiating and drafting production sharing contracts, joint operating agreements, technical service agreements, and related agreements.
- Structuring project finance facilities for offshore oil and gas operations and advising borrowers obtaining mezzanine financing for oil and gas exploration and development.
- Refinancing and restructuring debt facilities for energy companies.
- Representing start-ups in private placements of equity for technology companies and energy companies.
- Representing international banks in workouts involving energy companies with foreign assets.
- Representing foreign banks in structuring and documenting credit facilities secured by oil and gas assets in the United States and abroad.
- Preparing multi-currency credit facilities and securing collateral located abroad.
- Serving as outside general counsel for small to medium-sized businesses with international operations, or owned by businesses organized outside the United States.
- Representing U.S. and non-U.S. companies in acquisition and sale transactions.
- Advising U.S. and non-U.S. companies arbitrating claims before domestic and international arbitration tribunals.
Brad also represents domestic companies regarding regulatory compliance in their international operations. His international compliance practice has included:
- Internal investigation of an oilfield service company's overseas operations for violations of antiboycott regulations.
- Advising exploration and production companies with respect to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance in several West African countries.
- Advising upstream project development company with respect to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance in Nigeria.
- Advising oilfield service company in acquisition transaction with issues regarding agent, representative and joint venture partner compliance with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Advising oilfield manufacturer regarding Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance in Chinese operations.
- Advising exploration and production companies with respect to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance in Chinese joint operating agreements.
- Advising U.S. Companies and their overseas subsidiaries on compliance with U.S. sanctions programs.
- Participating in management training seminars on international regulatory compliance matters for multinational oil companies, oilfield service companies, oilfield equipment manufacturers and financial services companies.
- Chairman, International Law Section, State Bar of Texas (1994-95)
- National Vice President, Union Internationale des Avocats (2002-2004)
- Texas Bar Foundation (Sustaining Life Member)
- President, Japan-America Society of Houston (2002-2005)
- Chairman, International Studies Advisory Board, University of St. Thomas
- Member, Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship Advisory Board, Rice University
- Member, Board of Directors, Brown Club of Houston
- Chairman, Houston Committee on Foreign Relations (2013-2014)
- Recognized in Latin Lawyer 250, Law Business Research Ltd., 2016
- Recognized in Euromoney's Expert Guides, Legal Media Group, in Banking Finance and Transactional, 2015; Energy and Natural Resources, 2005-2007, 2010, 2015-2017
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc. for Corporate: Project Finance and Technology, 2005-2007, 2009-2023
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (International), 2004-2005
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™
- "Cybersecurity Law & Practice for the Generalist," panelist, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, March 10, 2021.
- “Cyber-Espionage and Your Client,” speaker, Union Internationale des Avocats, 61st Congress, Toronto, Canada, October 29, 2017.
- “Structuring a Cross-Border Deal in the Natural Resources and Energy Sector: Special Focus on Private Equity Investors,” speaker, Union Internationale des Avocats, 61st Congress, Toronto, Canada, October 29, 2017.
- "Quick Reference Tables: Texas," co-author, Getting the Deal Through - Project Finance 2014, Law Business Research Ltd., August 2013.
- "Quick Reference Tables: Texas," co-author, Getting the Deal Through - Project Finance 2013, Law Business Research Ltd., August 2012.
- "The Best Defense is a Good Offense: Creating and Maintaining a Compliance Culture to Address the New Reality of International White Collar Law Enforcement," author, Inside the Minds: International White Collar Enforcement, 2012 edition (Aspatore).
- "Information Technology: Changes and Challenges to the Legal Profession," speaker, Union Internationale des Avocats, Annual Congress, Miami, Florida, November 2, 2011.
- "Exiting China: Procedures to Ensure the Orderly Liquidation of a Business," co-author, 33 Houston Journal of Int'l Law 632 (Summer 2011).
- "How Bright is the Future for Solar PV?" speaker, Lawrence Graham LLP, London, Seminar, April 6, 2011.
B.A., International Relations, Brown University, 1980, with honors
J.D., University of Iowa, 1984, with distinction, Symposium Editor, Iowa Law Review, Vol. 69
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]