Haynes and Boone has extensive experience in advising clients in cross-border matters involving Brazil, and in particular advising foreign companies investing in Brazil and in cross-border lending. We also have excellent experience advising Brazilian clients in their international transactions across many industries, such as finance, energy, offshore oil and gas, food and beverage, shipping and technology. Leading industry publications such as Chambers Latin America 2020, Latin Lawyer 250 2020 and Latinvex 2020 have recognized the firm’s long standing experience in Latin America.
Our dedicated team has lawyers who are native speakers or fluent in Portuguese, including some originally trained and with several years of experience in different sectors in Brazil.
We have worked with a large number of the leading law firms in Brazil as part of our service to our clients and have had Brazilian foreign associates from several of these leading firms work with us in our offices.
Our experience in Brazil includes:
- Served as lead counsel to MMX in connection with financing of an integrated iron-ore mining and infrastructure logistics project relating to MMX's Amapá mining facility.
- Served as lead counsel for multiple vendors in connection with negotiation and implementation of a $700 million multi-party turnkey wireless telecommunications project in Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel to lenders for a $72 million project finance loan for steel mini-mill in Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel to lenders in connection with a $200 million project financing of Brazilian wireless telecommunications company.
- Served as lead counsel to the seller/lessee on the sale-leaseback and $36 million project financing of two 18-KW diesel-fired generators in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel to secured creditor in connection with the $135 million restructuring of a Brazilian telecommunications company.
- Advised Colombian national oil company Ecopetrol in its joint operating agreement (JOA) with ExxonMobil and Petrobras.
- Served as counsel to a large European lead bank in $180 million acquisition of Enron's Eletrobolt power plant by Brazil's national oil company Petrobras.
- Advised U.S. multinationals in their labor planning and coordination of labor litigation in Brazil.
- Advised U.S. multinational in the purchase and sale of distressed loan portfolios in Brazil.
- Represented multinationals with their franchise work in Brazil.
- Represented IT outsourcing companies with their IT outsourcing projects in Brazil.
- Represented Sabre in the sale of its outsourcing business in Brazil.
- Represented Sabre in licensing agreements in Brazil.
- Represented Aviall in successfully obtaining Brazilian merger clearance before the Brazilian competition authorities in connection with its merger with Boeing.
- Prosecution of anti-dumping cases before the ITC in connection with Brazilian companies.
- Represented Brazilian companies in obtaining U.S. visas.
To view an overview of Haynes and Boone's experience in Latin America, visit Americas Practice Group.
Haynes and Boone, LLP Associate Colin Giuseppe Cox has been named to the Board of Directors of the Miami-Dade Bar Association and co-chair of its International Law Committee. Colin is a member of the firm’s International Practice Group who is licensed to practice in both Florida and Texas. This month he was also appointed as Secretary and Treasurer of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of [...]