Andreas Silcher is a partner with more than 15 years of experience in the maritime, oil and gas, and finance sectors. He acts for shipowners, offshore energy companies, shipyards, and investors on a range of commercial transactions, from negotiating shipbuilding contracts to structuring complex multi-national joint ventures. Clients seek Andreas’s representation on non-contentious matters, including the construction, financing, and employment of all kinds of commercial vessels and offshore structures for the oil and gas industry, in particular in the LNG and LPG sectors.
Clients appreciate that Andreas has extensive multi-jurisdictional experience in the negotiation of shareholder and joint venture agreements, including in the US, Greece, Cayman Islands, and Hong Kong. Fluent in Greek, German, and Spanish, he regularly advises foreign clients in their native language. Andreas is a dually qualified English solicitor and German Rechtsanwalt.
Andreas has been recognised in the shipping section of Chambers UK 2022-2024, Chambers and Partners, who commented that Andreas “gives precise advice and provides very good service” and “is responsive and knowledgeable in his field of expertise." Andreas was also recognised in the 2022-2024 UK editions of The Legal 500 (Legalease), the international directory of law firms. The publication said that “Andreas Silcher stands out for his practical approach, always to the highest legal standards. He will give you the advice, draft contract or other deliverable that suits your business. He is also generally available and always nice to work with.” In Legal 500 UK 2021 clients said that Andreas is “an outstanding lawyer covering a wide spectrum of shipping law. His professionalism, integrity, honesty, and commercial understanding are unparalleled.” The directory further notes, “Andreas Silcher is clearly an expert in his field and adept at providing excellent and knowledgeable legal advice whilst also always being mindful of the commercial context within which such advice is given, and the decisions that are required to be made by the business. He is responsive, efficient and a pleasure to work with.”
Andreas offers clients a wealth of experience in his field, including nine years at Curtis Davis Garrard LLP (now Haynes and Boone CDG, LLP) where he focused on all areas of non-contentious shipping and offshore work. Due to his deep knowledge and experience, Andreas was regularly instructed to work on highly complex transactions during that time.
Andreas spent two years acting as general counsel for one of the largest privately owned shipping companies in the world. In this role, he was not only responsible for all legal aspects of the business, but also advised his principal on a wide range of personal matters, from structuring venture capital funds to the temporary importation of valuable works of art. His experience as general counsel enables Andreas to adapt to rapidly changing situations in order to achieve the optimal outcome for his clients.
- Representation of a shipowner in relation to the complex structuring of a joint venture in Colombia for the provision of floating LNG storage services.
- Representation of a private client in the negotiations with a shipyard for the construction of a 90m superyacht.
- Representation of a patron of the arts in negotiations with the Athens School of Fine Arts regarding the use of the school’s spaces throughout Greece for cultural events and organisation of an exhibition on the Island of Mykonos.
- Representation of Seed Investors in a venture capital fund.
- Representation of a state owned shipping company in various tender processes regarding the procurement of tonnage.
- Recognized as a Recommended Lawyer in Chambers UK, Chambers and Partners, 2022-2024
- Recognized as a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500, Legalease, 2021-2024
- Recognized as a Stand-out Lawyer, Acritas Stars, 2020-2021
J.D., Humboldt University of Berlin, 2002
B.S., University of Leipzig, 2000
England and Wales
We are pleased to bring you our Shipping and Energy Newsletter Digest for 2023. Our annual digest provides you with a roundup of our quarterly shipping and energy newsletters from 2023. It includes articles, podcasts and videos on topics of interest in the shipping, offshore energy and renewable energy sectors, and on autonomous vessels, dispute resolution and artificial intelligence. We are del [...]