As the co-chair of the firm's Trademark and Advertising Practice Group, Tiffany's practice focuses on advising clients in all aspects of brand management and promotion. From analyzing potential risks associated with advertising claims to evaluating the availability of a potential trademark, Tiffany works to help her clients build, maintain, and promote their brands. Clients rely on her through all stages of their brand's lifecycle, including the selection and protection of brands, as well as the creation and defense of advertising and promotional programs. Tiffany has been recognized by World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000, Globe Publishing, Ltd. (2023) and noted that she “brings her mastery of advertising law to bear when advising on commercial trademark issues.”
Tiffany counsels clients in the design and development of product packaging and labeling, including on compliance with FDA and FTC regulations and the intellectual property implications of label design. She also reviews national advertising materials in all forms of media and advises on strategies intended to reduce the risk of a competitor or consumer demand, class action, or regulatory enforcement action. Not just a counselor, Tiffany regularly appears before the National Advertising Division (NAD), representing clients in advertising-related disputes.
No matter the topic at hand, Tiffany is mindful of her clients’ overarching goals and business concerns. She has considerable practical, business-minded experience with advertising, marketing, and product and packaging development gained from her time as a legal secondee to various of her clients and previous work with Reynolds Packaging Group, formerly a division of Alcoa.
- Counsel to a multinational telecommunications company in advertising disputes before the NAD.
- Represented a medical device company specializing in eye care products in an advertising dispute before the NAD between major market players.
- Counseled a leading technology company regarding global advertising campaigns and integrations for major international sporting events.
- Extensive secondment experience as in-house trademark and advertising counsel, including for a leading global technology company and internet retailer and a major online travel services provider.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Building Bridges Committee (2022-present)
- Board of Directors, Children's Chorus of Greater Dallas, 2019 – 2022
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- William & Mary Law School Alumni Ambassadors Program
- Recognized as a leading trademark professional by World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000, Globe Publishing, Ltd., 2023
- Recognized by Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2023
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022-2023
- Listed in The Legal 500 U.S. for Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing), 2022
- “Hot Topics: An Event in Advertising & Marketing Law,” presenter, BBB National Programs. January 25, 2023.
- “Endorsement and Testimonial Guidance as FTC Paves the Way to Impose Fines on More than 700 Companies,” co-author, Mobile Marketing Magazine, October 27, 2021.
- “Q&A: Haynes and Boone's Tiffany Ferris on Olympics advertising, IP enforcement”, contributor, Thomson Reuters Westlaw Today, July 9, 2021.
- “3 Tips For Compliance With FTC's New Made In USA Rule”, co-author, Law360, July 7, 2021.
- “Advertising Law Basics for In-House Attorneys”, presenter, Haynes Boone Trademark webinar series, June 23, 2021.
- “Facebook to More Quickly Remove Misleading Ads through New Partnership with the NAD”, co-author, Haynes Boone alert, December 4, 2020.
- “5 Tips for Brands Advertising in the COVID-19 Era”, co-author, Ad Age, May 13, 2020.
- “FTC Is Scrutinizing COVID-19 Advertising As Consumer Complaints Soar,” co-author, Haynes Boone alert, April 13, 2020.
- “Call for Creatives: United Nations Opens Submission Process for COVID-19 Messaging Work”, author, Haynes Boone alert, April 1, 2020.
- “Use of Landmark Images in Advertising”, co-author, Today's General Counsel, Fall 2019.
- “What's in a Name' Sometimes, a Claim”, co-author, Food and Drug Law Institute’s Update magazine, February 28, 2018.
B.A., Religion, University of Richmond, 2010, magna cum laude
B.S.B.A., Marketing, University of Richmond, 2010, magna cum laude
J.D., William & Mary Law School, 2013, cum laude
Haynes and Boone, LLP is proud to announce the promotion of 13 lawyers to its partnership ranks. This partnership class is the most diverse in the firm’s history. Effective Jan. 1, the new partners are Raquel Alvarenga, Robert Bruner, Jamie Carter, Matt Costello, Tiffany Ferris, Maria Hopper, Mini Kapoor, Jennifer Kreick, Kim Mai, Kinne Manente, Arsalan Muhammad, Courtney Smith, and Alan Wang. [...]