Brent A. Folsom has more than 15 years of experience helping businesses protect their intellectual property assets in the United States and abroad. Brent represents and counsels technology-based clients of all sizes, ranging from start-ups to established international corporations. He regularly guides these clients through the process of strategically filing patent applications to protect new ideas, products, and services.
Brent’s electrical engineering training and extensive patent experience have enabled him to obtain protection in a wide range of technologies including electrical systems, software, business methods, and mechanical systems. Based on his work in both Northern and Southern California, Brent is well attuned to the needs of clients in these different geographic markets.
Brent manages business-critical patent filings for all stages in the product lifecycle—from early development to final product release. He also understands that client goals can change as products develop and mature. When these changes occur, Brent is available to help clients reevaluate their intellectual property strategies and take a fresh approach when required.
Brent’s international patent experience allows him to counsel clients regarding how to efficiently protect their technology abroad. This global perspective is particularly important as manufacturing often occurs overseas.
Brent also maintains a design patent practice which provides an alternate way to protect the overall shape and appearance of products from unauthorized copying. This is often a supplemental form of protection to complement conventional patent filings in the United States and foreign markets.
- State Bar of California
- Orange County Patent Law Association
- "IP Patent Law Panel," participant, UC Irvine School of Law, August 26, 2014.
- "Introduction to Patents," presentation to UC Irvine School of Engineering, Irvine, CA, May 7, 2014.
- "Intellectual Property Practice," presentation to USC Gould School of Law, April 21, 2014.
- "Introduction to Patents," presentation to UC Irvine School of Engineering, Irvine, CA, February 19, 2014.
- "IP Patent Law Panel," participant, UC Irvine School of Law, November 18, 2013.
- "Intellectual Property Law Careers Panel," participant, University of San Diego School of Law, March 26, 2012.
- "Careers in Patent Law," presentation to UC Irvine School of Engineering, November 29, 2011.
- "Conformity is a Virtue: The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Proposes Changes to the Duty of Disclosure to Match the Therasense Standard," co-author, July 26, 2011.
- "Weathering the Storm: Third Circuit Concurring Opinion Supports Trademark Licensees' Retention of Rights in Bankruptcy Cases," co-author, October 27, 2010.
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 1999, Phi Delta Phi
B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California Irvine, 1996, Regents' Scholar
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California