Michael Gaston-Bell serves a Counsel in Haynes and Boone’s Dallas office and his practice focuses primarily on sophisticated employment matters.
Michael’s practice focuses on representing clients in federal and state courts, as well as state and local agencies, on matters related to Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Michael also provides employers with guidance on the interpretation and implementation of Title VII, ADEA, ADA, FMLA and FLSA issues in the workplace.
Additionally Michael advises top level corporate leadership - boards of directors, in-house counsel and chief executives - on unique, complex and often crisis-level employment affairs, including: executive transitions, internal investigations, unfair competition, and major transactions.
Wage and Hour
- Represented several national clients in FLSA collective actions and assisted in obtaining favorable settlements of the plaintiffs’ claims
- Successfully argued for summary judgment for national freight company in multi-plaintiff race discrimination, harassment, and retaliation case in Tennessee State Court.
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment for global defense company on sex harassment and discrimination claims in New Jersey state court.
- Assisted in obtaining reversal of $50 million dollar punitive damage award for a global defense company on age discrimination claim under ADEA in New Jersey Federal court.
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment for national shipping company in multi-plaintiff race discrimination, harassment, retaliation case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment for personally named individuals employed by government entity on race discrimination and harassment claims filed in Tennessee state court.
- Obtained over ten no cause findings and dismissals from the EEOC, after conducting investigations of the charging party’s claims and submitting a position statement to the EEOC.
- Conducted high-level, sensitive and complex workplace investigations for global automotive manufacturer.
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation 2020-2021
- Director, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Leadership Class, 2018
- Legal Council on Legal Diversity, Pathfinder, 2017
- American Bar Association Labor and Employment Trial Institute, Participant, 2017
- National Employment Law Council, Member
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- Missouri Bar Association Legislative Review Subcommittee
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Member
- Indiana Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Dallas Bar Association Member, Member
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Judiciary Committee
- Featured in D Magazine’s “Best Lawyers Under 40” directory, D Magazine Partners, 2021
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2022
J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of Law, 2013
B.S., Truman State University, 2010
U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
Seventy-five Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” directory this month. The Ones to Watch distinction is given to attorneys early in their careers in recognition of their outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the U.S. Nominated by peers in the industry, Ones to Watch recipients have been in practice for five to nine years. The fol [...]