As a pastor’s son and former aspiring sportscaster, Andrew Guthrie knows the value of grabbing – and keeping – an audience’s attention. His clients appreciate that he brings this skill to their cases, whether in briefs to the appellate court or arguments to the jury. But Andrew also knows that once that attention is earned, substance is paramount. So he works with clients to identify and communicate their most important arguments in a clear, thorough, and ultimately effective way.
Andrew focuses his practice on appeals and critical trial court briefing across an array of subject matters, including business disputes, government investigations, bankruptcy, energy, products liability, intellectual property, and the False Claims Act.
Through in-depth analysis of a case’s most important legal and factual questions and his natural ability to clearly communicate those points to a judge or a jury, Andrew consistently provides effective representation to his clients no matter the case or the stage. In fact, he was named “Appellate Lawyer of the Week” in February 2016 by Texas Lawyer (ALM Media Properties, LLC) after successfully arguing a First Amendment case to the Fifth Circuit, despite being retained mere weeks before oral argument. Andrew has also been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Texas Super Lawyers, 2016-2021 (Thomson Reuters) and, in 2020, he received the Rosner & Rosner Young Lawyer Professionalism Award from the American Bar Association’s Center for Professional Responsibility.
Andrew’s recent work includes:
- Prevailing in two high-profile appeals for the National Football League, including by securing affirmance of take-nothing summary judgments in the Dallas Court of Appeals and persuading the Texas Supreme Court to deny review
- Prevailing in a mandamus proceeding before the Dallas Court of Appeals, which dismissed all claims against a faith-based school under the First Amendment ecclesiastical abstention doctrine
- Obtaining summary reversal of a National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) unfair labor practice charge in the Fifth Circuit, without full briefing or oral argument
- Representing a coalition of interested parties in a two-week contested case hearing before the Texas State Office of Administrative Hearings challenging one of the largest water-rights applications in Texas history
Away from the office, Andrew serves as a deacon at his local congregation and as a member of the board of directors for Christian Unity Ministries.
- Prevailed in a mandamus proceeding before the Dallas Court of Appeals, which dismissed all claims against a faith-based school under the First Amendment ecclesiastical abstention doctrine.
- Represented a major hospital system in several related appeals arising from multi-million dollar probate litigation.
- Obtained summary reversal of an NLRB unfair labor practice charge in the Fifth Circuit, without full briefing or oral argument.
- Represented a coalition of interested parties in a two-week contested case hearing before the State Office of Administrative Hearings challenging one of the largest water-rights applications in Texas history.
- After being retained just weeks before oral argument, persuaded the Fifth Circuit to strike down two provisions of a Texas statute governing the licensing of psychologists as unconstitutional on First Amendment grounds.
- Appointed by the Texas Supreme Court to serve on the Professional Ethics Committee for the State Bar of Texas, 2017-2020
- Associate, Patrick Higginbotham Inn of Court, 2017-2018
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2016-2021
- Named “Appellate Lawyer of the Week” by the Texas Lawyer, February 2016
J.D., Baylor University School of Law, 2011, valedictorian, summa cum laude; Managing Executive Editor, Baylor Law Review
B.J., Broadcast Journalism, University of Missouri, 2008, magna cum laude
Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Don Willett, Texas Supreme Court (2011-2012)
Seventy-five Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” directory this month. The Ones to Watch distinction is given to attorneys early in their careers in recognition of their outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the U.S. Nominated by peers in the industry, Ones to Watch recipients have been in practice for five to nine years. The fol [...]