Brandon Jones is a partner in the Tax Practice Group in Haynes Boone’s Fort Worth office.
His practice focuses on representing clients in a broad range of transactional matters, including M&A transactions, public and private offerings, formation of legal entities, negotiating and drafting joint venture agreements, and tax planning and structuring across a variety of industries, such as energy, entertainment, real estate, engineering, healthcare, hospitality, finance and financial services, insurance, retail, waste recycling and disposal, and car wash and auto detailing.
Brandon has experience working with many different types of business entities, including corporations, partnerships, LLCs, REITs, and MLPs. In addition, he has considerable experience representing clients participating in the federal Opportunity Zone (OZ) program. In particular, he represents both fund sponsors and investors in this space, assisting them with the formation of qualified opportunity funds (QOFs) and qualified opportunity zone businesses (QOZBs) and in connection with related planning and compliance matters.
Brandon is a frequent speaker at real estate conferences pertaining to opportunity zone investments and has authored multiple articles and publications relating to opportunity zone investments. He has also been a past speaker at Annual UT CLE Events relating to partnerships and LLCs.
- Assisted in connection with the formation, organization structuring, and recapitalization or restructuring of hundreds of partnerships, LLCs, and other joint venture transactions.
- Assisted (from both corporate and tax perspective) in connection with hundreds of M&A transactions (both taxable and tax-free) having values in the billions of dollars.
- Assisted (from both corporate and tax perspective) multiple private equity groups in connection with the negotiation, drafting, structuring and acquisition of their joint ventures and M&A transactions.
- Assisted multiple fund sponsors and real estate developers with the formation and structuring of qualified opportunity funds (QOFs) and applicable compliance matters relating to opportunity zone investments.
- Assisted hundreds of investors with the formation and structuring of private QOFs and qualified opportunity zone businesses (QOZBs) and applicable compliance matters relating to opportunity zone investments.
- Assisted multiple family offices in connection with joint venture, organizational restructuring and M&A matters.
- Assisted in connection with the structuring and organization of master limited partnerships (MLP).
- Assisted in connection with organization and structuring of doctor/dentist groups and their related management service organizations (MSOs).
- Served as outside general counsel to multiple business.
- Assisted local family office in connection with the structuring of a large hedging transaction in an effort to minimize equity risk and associated federal tax liability.
- Assisted local family office in connection with the structuring and sale of its energy holdings (valued at several billion dollars) in an effort to minimize associated federal tax liability.
- Represented individuals, partnerships, LLCs, private and publicly held corporations, electing small business corporations, REITs, foreign investors and tax-exempt investors.
- Assisted corporate and non-corporate debtors in connection with restructuring of debts (in and outside of bankruptcy).
- Represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the Texas Comptroller.
Some of these representations were handled by Brandon prior to joining Haynes Boone.
- State Bar of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- General Tax Committee, State Bar of Texas (Chair, 2006-2008; ViceChair, 2004-2006)
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)
- Financial Executives International (FEI)
- Christ Chapel Bible Church
- Tarrant County’s Top Attorneys, Fort Worth, Texas, 2008-2022
- Power Attorney, The Fort Worth Business Press, 2014
- Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2005-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022-2023
- Top Attorneys, 360 West Magazine, 2021-2022
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 2001
J.D., Baylor University School of Law, 2000
M.B.A., Baylor University, 2000
B.B.A., Texas A&M University, 1997
Haynes and Boone, LLP represented Callon Petroleum Company in a pair of complex energy acquisition and divestiture transactions valued at $1.1 billion. Callon announced May 3 that it had entered into an agreement to acquire the membership interests of Permian-based Percussion Petroleum Operating II, LLC in a cash and stock transaction valued at approximately $475 million, with potential contingent [...]
Experienced Transactional Lawyer Brandon Jones Returns to Haynes BooneJanuary 04, 2023