Glenn Kangisser handles projects and disputes for clients in the offshore, oil and gas, and shipping industries, with a focus on upstream exploration and production and the transportation of oil and gas. A leader in the offshore drilling sector, Glenn brings substantial depth of experience and market knowledge to his projects. Clients appreciate his ability to be involved in all aspects in the lifecycle of a drilling unit, from the design and construction phase through operations and maintenance, to disposition, conversion, or recycling.
Adept at both negotiating contracts and handling disputes, Glenn helps clients find commercial solutions either to minimize the risk of potential disputes or, where these can’t be avoided, to help them achieve the best possible commercial outcome. He regularly advises clients on disputes in the English High Court, as well as in arbitrations under the LCIA, LMAA, and ICC rules. With a truly international practice, Glenn has also negotiated contracts for the construction, sale, operation, and employment of drilling units in the UKCS, U.S. Gulf of Mexico, West Africa, Brazil, the Middle East, and the Far East.
Glenn is regularly involved in cases of exceptional size and significance. Recently, he led his team in the largest arbitration ever handled by the firm, obtaining a London arbitration award for a European drilling contractor client in proceedings against a South Korean shipyard. This arose out of the disputed termination of a drilling rig construction contract. Glenn was also involved in a major force majeure case under English law, securing for Seadrill Ghana Operations Ltd. an English High Court judgment worth in excess of US $270 million, plus interest and expenses. The case related to the disputed termination of a drilling contract for alleged force majeure. Glenn has also been involved in some of the largest and most significant offshore drilling projects over the last decade.
Glenn is recommended by The Legal 500, 2021 (Legalease), which describes him as accessible and “a pleasant chap with a great legal mind” who is “very thorough and always delivers solid advice which has been thought through.”
Glenn is an active member of the International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC) and is currently helping the IADC update their offshore daywork drilling contract.
- Assisting a drilling contractor with the negotiation and drafting of a drilling contract with an independent oil company for operations offshore West Africa for two firm wells and multiple option wells.
- Advising a drilling contractor client on a substantial dispute relating to the suspension of a drilling contract for the convenience of the operator, an independent oil company. The dispute is the subject of ongoing proceedings in the English Commercial Court.
- Assisting a drilling contractor client with the negotiation and drafting of a drilling contract with a major oil company for operations offshore South America for a one year term plus options.
- Acted for Seadrill Ghana Operations Ltd and has recently secured an English High Court judgment worth in excess of USD 270 million, plus interest and expenses, for a drilling contractor in a case relating to the disputed termination of a drilling contract for alleged force majeure.
- Assisting a drilling contractor client in a substantial ICC arbitration relating to the disputed cancellation of a construction contract for a semi-submersible drilling unit.
- Assisting a drilling contractor client on the complex renegotiation of a drilling contract with a US independent oil company following the oil price collapse.
B.A., Economics (Hons.), Government and Political Theory, University of Manchester,
Postgraduate Degree, Law and Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School,
England and Wales
Liquidated damages clauses are a key provision in shipbuilding and offshore construction contracts. They provide certainty as to the amount of money that will be paid as damages in the event of delays to delivery or failure to meet specified performance criteria regardless of the loss actually suffered. Not only do they fix in advance the damages that will be payable, they also serve to limit a [...]