Richard Kanowitz brings decades of experience to his work in corporate reorganization and bankruptcy litigation. He represents corporate debtors, unsecured and secured creditors, and equity holders in a multitude of businesses including financial services, such as crypto currency exchanges and digital asset lenders, energy, oil and gas, healthcare, telecommunication services, biofuel, biotech, medical devices, manufacturing, higher education, real estate, and retail. He also represents official committees of unsecured creditors in national Chapter 11 cases.
Richard has handled numerous contested bankruptcy matters and adversary proceedings, including cash collateral hearings, severance and retention hearings, asset disposition hearings, exclusivity contests, disclosure statement and confirmation proceedings, fraudulent conveyance actions, claims litigation, UCC lien litigation, executory contract and unexpired lease litigation, and Bankruptcy Rule 2004 investigations.
Clients appreciate that Richard is a strategic thinker who applies his craft to complex matters in a very straightforward manner. He knows clients want an efficient resolution to their matters, and he provides the advice needed to get things done.
Since joining the firm in 2020, Richard’s representations have included:
- BlockFi, Inc., and affiliates in their pending Chapter 11 cases in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey and ancillary proceedings in The Supreme Court of Bermuda and The Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court, Antigua and Barbuda. On September 26, 2023, BlockFi’s plan was confirmed with over 90% approval in amount across all voting classes. Post-confirmation, Richard will advise the company on the recovery of assets that are owned to it by FTX, Alameda, 3AC and other bankruptcy estates
- Tuesday Morning, a publicly held, off-price home goods retailer with stores throughout the U.S., in its successful reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11
- The Administrative Agent for a $500 million senior secured credit facility in the Arena Energy LP Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- The Administrative Agent for a $190 million senior secured credit facility in the Sundance Energy, Inc. Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
Richard is the co-founder, former president, and current Director Emeritus of Families Fighting Flu, a national non-profit advocacy organization dedicated to protecting children, families, and communities against the flu.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2020-2024
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2022-2023 *No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
J.D., Hofstra University School of Law, 1992
B.A., University of Michigan, 1989
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Ten Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2023 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars directories. Published annually by Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations of lawyers in more [...]