Richard Kanowitz brings decades of experience to his work in corporate reorganization and bankruptcy litigation. He represents corporate debtors, unsecured and secured creditors, and equity holders in a multitude of businesses including energy, oil and gas, healthcare, telecommunication services, biofuel, biotech, medical devices, manufacturing, higher education, real estate, and retail. He also represents official committees of unsecured creditors in national Chapter 11 cases.
Richard has handled numerous contested bankruptcy matters and adversary proceedings, including cash collateral hearings, severance and retention hearings, asset disposition hearings, exclusivity contests, disclosure statement and confirmation proceedings, fraudulent conveyance actions, claims litigation, UCC lien litigation, executory contract and unexpired lease litigation, and Bankruptcy Rule 2004 investigations.
Clients appreciate that Richard is a strategic thinker who applies his craft to complex matters in a very straightforward manner. He knows clients want an efficient resolution to their matters, and he provides the advice needed to get things done.
Since joining the firm in 2020, Richard’s representations have included:
- Tuesday Morning, a publicly held, off-price home goods retailer with stores throughout the U.S., in its successful reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11
- The Administrative Agent for a $500 million senior secured credit facility in the Arena Energy LP Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- The Administrative Agent for a $190 million senior secured credit facility in the Sundance Energy, Inc. Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
Richard is the co-founder, former president, and current Director Emeritus of Families Fighting Flu, a national non-profit advocacy organization dedicated to protecting children, families, and communities against the flu.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2022 *No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Award Methodology.
J.D., Hofstra University School of Law, 1992
B.A., University of Michigan, 1989
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
A Haynes and Boone, LLP team led by Partner Ian Peck has been honored by the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) for its representation of Tuesday Morning Corporation in its successful reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11. Haynes Boone received the 2021 Large Company Turnaround/Transaction of the Year Award. The TMA Turnaround and Transaction Awards, among the most well known in the r [...]