As co-chair of our Franchise and Distribution Practice Group, Rob Lauer devotes 100 percent of his practice to domestic and international franchise matters. Rob is extremely active on the ABA’s Forum on Franchising as an editor, writer, and speaker at Forum events, and is currently serving on the Forum’s governing committee through August 2025. Rob also currently serves as a committee member on the IBA’s International Franchising Committee through 2024.
Large and small/startup franchisors turn to Rob for advice on their most important and complex transactional matters, including:
- Structuring domestic and international franchise offerings
- Complying with domestic and international franchise disclosure and registration requirements
- Negotiating franchise and related agreements around the world
- Analyzing and resolving pre-litigation franchise disputes
- Structuring supply chain programs and preparing and negotiating supplier and vendor agreements for franchise systems
- Performing and defending due diligence reviews involving mergers and acquisitions of franchise companies
Rob’s restaurant and hospitality clients benefit from his prior experience as an in-house franchise and litigation attorney for a large public restaurant franchisor and operator. He is recognized in both Chambers USA, 2012-2023 and Chambers Global, 2011-2023 (Chambers and Partners), as well as in The Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2024 (Woodward/White, Inc.) for his experience in both domestic and international franchising.
- Committee Member, IBA International Franchising Committee, 2017-present
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising Member At-Large of the Governing Committee for second three year term through August 2025
- ABA Forum on Franchising International Division Steering Committee (3-year term ending August 2011)
- Co-Creator, Austin/Central Texas Franchise Business Network, March 2007
- Co-Creator, Haynes and Boone, LLP Restaurant School Program, Fall 2007
- Former Vice-Chair, Second Vice-Chair and Council Member, Franchise & Distribution Section, Dallas Bar Association
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., Franchise Law, 2008-2024
- Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, Franchising (Nationwide), Up and Coming, 2012-2014; Band 4, 2015-2023
- Chambers Global, Chambers and Partners, Global Franchising; Band 3, 2011; Band 4, 2012; Band 3, 2013-2023
- Recognized as a Legal Eagle (top franchise lawyers), Franchise Times, Franchise Times Corp., 2019
- Recognized in Latin Lawyer 250, Law Business Research Ltd., 2016
- International Who's Who of Franchise Lawyers, Law Business Research, 2010-2015, 2019-2023
- Co-Receipt, Purveyor of the Year Award, Outback Steakhouse International, LP, 2007
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2005, 2008-2012
- "It is All Mine, But You Can Use it for Now! Key Issues and Options for Data-related Provisions in International Franchise Agreements," speaker, IBA/IFA Joint Conference, May 2023.
- “Annotated Franchise Agreement,” co-author, American Bar Association Book Publishing, 2018.
- "Fundamentals of Franchising – Europe," co-author, American Bar Association Book Publishing, 2017.
- "What Every Texas Attorney Should Know About Franchise Law,” presenter, Ten Minute Mentor video tutorial, Texas Bar CLE/Texas Young Lawyers Association.
J.D., St Marys University, 1997, cum laude; Who's Who: American Law Students (17th ed.); Corpus Juris Secundum Award in Torts, 1994-1995; Outstanding Staff Writer Award, St. Mary's Law Journal (1995-1996)
B.A., Trinity University, 1994
Briefing Attorney, Justice Terrie Livingston, Second Court of Appeals, State of Texas;
Intern, The Honorable Edward Prado, United States District Court
Seven Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are ranked in the 2023 edition of the Chambers Global Legal Guide of the leading international lawyers. Additionally, Chambers Global ranked Haynes Boone in the top 25 firms for Derivatives in the U.S. Chambers said Haynes Boone “receives market-wide praise for the breadth of its practice.” One client added: “I have been pleased with the experience. Haynes Boone [...]