A registered patent attorney, Jade Laye focuses his practice on intellectual property law, with an emphasis on patent prosecution, opinions, and counseling, as well as the acquisition, licensing, and divestiture of patent rights. His litigation experience includes litigation support involving patent infringement and invalidity.
Clients benefit from Jade’s experience with a range of technologies, including electrical and mechanical oil field devices, automotive technology, optical computing devices, electromagnetic logging tools, software, semiconductors, fracturing methods, e-commerce, and telecommunications. In addition to his law degrees, Jade holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering.
Jade’s past patent examination experience gives him and his clients a significant advantage in both prosecution and litigation. He is a former Patent Examiner with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in its telecommunications division. While at the USPTO, his technical focus was in the areas of video and data distribution systems, networks, electronic programming guides, and related technology, such as video recording devices, modems, and hand-held communications devices.
Jade is involved in the firm’s attorney diversity efforts, where he focuses on advancing the hiring, retention, and promotion of diverse lawyers within the firm. He also serves as a founding member of the Houston Minority IP Lawyers Association, and was admitted into the 2016 class of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellows Program. In addition, he serves on the Board of Directors for the Bridge Preparatory Academy in Sugar Land, Texas.
- Board Member, The Bridge Preparatory Academy, Sugar Land, TX
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Member, 2016
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023
- "A Biden Administration Bodes Well for the Electric Vehicle Industry," author, Haynes and Boone publication, January 28, 2021.
- "Oilfield Services Seminar Series, Part II: Sorting M&A Targets Using Triage Due Diligence," speaker on patent-related issues, Houston, TX, April 2016.
LL.M., Intellectual Property, George Washington University Law School, 2006
B.S.E.E., Electrical Engineering, University of Arkansas College of Engineering, 2001
J.D., University of Arkansas School of Law, 2004
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Texas Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]