Dr. Jiaping (Charlene) Liu is an intellectual property lawyer with an extensive knowledge of patents and a focus on patent prosecution and assertion matters. Charlene performs client counseling, portfolio development and management in various technological fields, and in particular focusing on AI and deep learning, medical devices, semiconductors, integrated circuits, financial service, and network security. Charlene also frequently counsels clients on assertions and licensing disputes, such as in the realm of standard essential patents.
Before her legal career, she obtained her Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Princeton University, and was a Gordon Wu fellowship recipient. Her doctoral work focused on stochastic modeling of data networks, and she worked on wireless transmission protocols for ad hoc networks at Bell Labs during graduate school.
- Represented a leading software company to develop, prosecute and manage a portfolio of more than 500 patents/applications relating to AI and deep learning technology in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Represented a technology company on assertions and licensing disputes relating to LTE and 5G standards.
- Represented a technology company on Inter Partes Review proceedings relating to network security.
- Represented a leading semiconductor technology company to prosecute and manage a portfolio of more than 400 patents/applications in U.S. and worldwide (prior to Haynes Boone)
- American Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Selected as 2022 American Bar Association On the Rise - Top 40 Young Lawyer
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2024
- Northern California Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," Thomson Reuters, 2022-2023
- Safe Haven Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Representation of Immigration Equality, a New York based nonprofit organization, 2016
- “Rethinking Patents on AI-Related Technology,” presenter, Client Outside Counsel Summit, March 22, 2023.
- “Future of Claim Drafting for Software/AI-Related Technology,” presenter, Haynes and Boone Patent Prosecution and Patent Trials Monthly Meeting, August 16, 2022.
- “How Does AI Impact Us?” co-presenter, Haynes and Boone Cross-Collaboration Program, July 14, 2022.
- “The Future of Claims Drafting,” presenter, 20th Annual Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property & Technology Law Conference, June 3, 2022.
- “Hung Liu: Portraits of Promised Lands,” moderator, Haynes and Boone Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month Virtual Program, May 25, 2022.
- “Protecting IP in Autonomous Driving,” author, The IP Beacon – Intellectual Property Law Newsletter of Haynes and Boone LLP, October 2021.
- “Securing Patent Rights of AI Technology,” co-presenter, Salesforce/Haynes and Boone CLE Webinar, October 27, 2020.
- “Introduction to Patent Priority Restoration,” co-presenter, Qualcomm Outside Counsel CLE Webinar Series, September 2, 2020.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Princeton University, 2009
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2013
BE, Electrical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2004
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Haynes and Boone, LLP Associate Jiaping “Charlene” Liu has been selected as a 2022 American Bar Association (ABA) On the Rise – Top 40 Young Lawyer. Charlene is an intellectual property (IP) lawyer with extensive knowledge of patents and a focus on patent prosecution and assertion matters. She will be honored at the ABA Young Lawyers Division Annual Meeting in August in Chicago. The On the Rise [...]