Kourtney Lyda is in the Restructuring Practice Group of Haynes and Boone. Kourtney has spent her career representing debtors, secured creditors, unsecured creditors, administrative agents, lessors, asset purchasers, and other parties in complex matters and advising corporate clients in their business dealings with financially distressed counterparties. Her experience includes the representation of Chapter 11 and 15 debtors, as well as other parties-in-interest in a variety of business restructuring matters.
Kourtney handles both in-court and out-of-court restructurings for clients in a variety of industries, including aviation, commodities, E&P, gas storage facilities, oilfield services, pharmaceuticals, franchised restaurants, and utilities. In particular, Kourtney has handled many aviation restructuring matters and serves as trusted counsel for
her aviation clients.
Kourtney looks for practical solutions to complex financial problems by working diligently to understand her clients’ businesses and needs and to align her efforts on their behalf accordingly. Her clients appreciate Kourtney’s responsiveness and willingness to solve problems by working with them to identify and address issues as they arise.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2020-2021
- Featured in Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring and Insolvency Lawyers and U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers listings, 2020-2022
Recent Speeches and Publications
- Labor and Employment Chapter, Collier Guide to Chapter 11: Key Topics and Selected Industries, contributor, September 7, 2016.
- Representation of the Canadian Court-appointed Receiver for BOS Solutions Ltd. in its Chapter 15 proceeding.
- Representing Fairway Energy, LP and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Represented Erickson Incorporated and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Represented Dune Energy, Inc. and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Represented Global Aviation and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Representation of ATA Airlines, Inc. in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving the wind-down and liquidation of its operations and assets.
- Representation of the DIP Agent and Pre-Petition Second Lien Agent in the Chapter 11 case of Marcal Paper Mills, Inc. on behalf of the secured lenders who are owed collectively over $140 million.
- Representation of Gemini Air Cargo, Inc. and its affiliates in a pre-negotiated Chapter 11 bankruptcy involving a debt for equity conversion and emergence under a plan of reorganization within six months.
- Representation of Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, Inc., and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases, one of the 10 largest bankruptcy filings in 2004.
- Representation of secured lenders, unsecured creditors and debtors in a variety of industries including numerous oil and gas, power and energy related bankruptcies.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Law Section
- Houston Bar Association (Bankruptcy Section)
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Houston Bar Association
LL.M., Taxation, University of Houston Law Center, 2000
J.D., University of Tulsa, 1999
B.S., Texas A&M University, 1996, cum laude
Honorable William Greendyke, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas (2000 to 2002)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]