Dan Malone is a trusted advisor to strategic and financial dealmakers as they pursue their most significant transactions. His practice focuses on complex business transactions for both private and public companies, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures and strategic investments. During his career, Dan has advised on hundreds of transactions worth in excess of $25 billion and spanning a broad range of industries, including financial services, food and beverage, consumer products, technology and healthcare. His experience spans from starting at one of the largest firms in the world in its Chicago office to a transition in house on the business side, sourcing, valuing and integrating acquisitions within a large public company and ultimately guiding that company through a significant take private transaction.
Dan has been ranked among the leading M&A and private equity lawyers in Chambers USA. His clients praise his not only his vast experience, but his ability “to explain complex business and legal situations in a pedestrian manner”. Dan also advises clients on a broad range of general corporate governance matters impacting their businesses.
As Haynes Boone’s Office Managing Partner and Hiring Partner in Denver, Dan has lead the growth of the office, as well as oversaw the construction, logistics and move to the firm’s new state-of-the-art office on 15th Street in downtown Denver.
In addition to his legal practice, Dan sits on the board of directors for Colorado Lawyers Committee and is active with the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Advised a publicly traded food company in its $12.5 billion sale to a foreign conglomerate.
- Advised a publicly traded food company in its $550 million acquisition of a plant based food company.
- Advised a publicly traded food company in its $125 million acquisition of an organic yogurt company.
- Represented a publicly traded engineering, construction and management services company on its $3.1 billion sale to a strategic acquirer.
- Represented a multibillion-dollar private equity fund in the disposition of an energy portfolio company to a strategic investor.
- Represented a private equity fund in the platform and add on acquisitions for an organic food company.
- Represented a multibillion-dollar private equity fund in the platform investment, various add on transactions and eventual exit of a leading manufacturer and distributor of interconnect products for electronics and data communication industries.
- Represented a startup software company in the healthcare industry in the sale of its business to a strategic investor.
- Represented a UK based private equity fund in its investment in a national franchise chain.
- Represented a strategic investor in its acquisition of a portfolio company that is a leading technology provider in the cloud-based vendor management system.
- Advised a group of founders in setting up an investment vehicle and navigating two rounds of venture capital investments.
- Represented a private equity fund in a minority investment of healthcare treatment centers.
- Advised a strategic investor in the automotive space on more than 25 tuck in acquisitions.
- Advised a private equity fund in the acquisition of a fractional aircraft business.
- Recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Corporate/M&A, 2021-2023
J.D., Boston College Law School
B.A., Fordham University, Dean's List
Haynes and Boone, LLP represented Avantax, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVTA), a leader in tax-focused financial planning and wealth management, in its take-private sale to Aretec Group, Inc., the holding company of Cetera Financial Group, Inc. (and portfolio company of Genstar Capital), a retail investment advice platform and network of independent financial advisors. Under the terms of the agreement, Cetera wi [...]