William T. Hoyer McCarthy has an extremely diverse technical background, having worked as an aerospace and robotics engineer, a full-time science fiction writer and science journalist (for places like WIRED, Discover, and Popular Mechanics), and a materials scientist and inventor/entrepreneur who has raised more than 25 million dollars in venture capital. Wil has published 10 books and hundreds of articles, holds patents in his own name in seven countries, has written and prosecuted nearly 30 issued U.S. patents, and has drafted more than 60 provisional and non?provisional patent applications, including background, specification, drawings, claims, and abstracts.
Professional and Community Activities
- Nationally competitive dragon boat racing
- Active in local startup community
Selected Client Representations
- Has worked with dozens of sole proprietors and micro entities
- Fortune 500 clients in the aerospace and medical device sectors
Selected Publications and Speeches
- “Dial?A?Size: Precision Quantum Dot Nanopatterning Using Cheap, Off?The?Shelf Copolymers,” author, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, September 25, 2008.
- Hacking Matter, author, Basic Books, 2003.
- “Programmable Matter and Ubiquitous Computing,” speaker, Keynote address, UBICOMP 2002: Göteborg, Sweden.