Taryn McDonald’s practice focuses on assisting both individuals and corporations facing actual or threatened government enforcement actions. She has represented clients under criminal or civil investigation by various government agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice, the Office of Inspector General, and the Texas Attorney General’s Office. She also has experience helping clients navigate complex fraud and abuse laws, including the Anti-Kickback Statute and the Stark Law.
Taryn’s practice also includes defending healthcare clients in False Claims Act qui tam litigation and representing providers before Medicare and Medicaid contractors.
Taryn is a member of the Dallas Bar Association and the DFW Chapter of Women in White Collar Defense. Before law school, Taryn worked for both the Texas House of Representatives and the Texas Attorney General’s Office.
- Represented a clinical laboratory in False Claims Act qui tam in the Northern District of Texas alleging violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute related to pharmacogenetic testing. See United States ex rels. Choate and Pyburn v. DNA Stat et al. (N.D. Tex.).
- Represented national hospice provider in False Claims Act qui tam in the Northern District of Texas alleging violations of the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute. See United States ex rel. Capshaw v. White (N.D. Tex.).
- Represented national healthcare provider in False Claims Act qui tam alleging violations of the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute related to employed physician compensation arrangements and improper coding of evaluation and management procedures.
- Represented pathology laboratories in False Claims Act qui tam alleging improper billing and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Obtained favorable resolution for healthcare executive in federal and state intervened qui tam False Claims Act case.
- Obtained favorable resolution for individual under criminal investigation by the Department of Justice.
Recognized by Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2021
Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2022
- Recognized in D Magazine's "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine Partners, 2018
- “Mitigating False Claims Act Liability Risks for Healthcare Recipients of COVID-19 Funding,” speaker, Strafford CLE webinar, March 24, 2021.
- “False Claims Act 2020 Year in Review,” speaker, Dallas Bar Association Health Law Section, January 20, 2021.
- “The Risk of False Claims Act Liability for Recipients of COVID-19 Funding,” co-presenter, Practising Law Institute 1-Hour Program
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2013, summa cum laude; Order of the Coif; SMU Law Review Association
B.A., Government, University of Texas at Austin, 2007, with honors
B.S., Communication Studies, University of Texas at Austin, 2007, with honors
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Seventy-five Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” directory this month. The Ones to Watch distinction is given to attorneys early in their careers in recognition of their outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the U.S. Nominated by peers in the industry, Ones to Watch recipients have been in practice for five to nine years. The fol [...]