Ellen McGinnis is the co-chair of our Fund Finance Practice Group, advising clients on subscription-secured credit facilities, a product she has worked on since its initial development in the late 1980s. Clients value Ellen’s critical thinking and the innovative approach she takes to structuring and executing their financing transactions. Offering thoughtful, practical advice, Ellen serves as trusted counsel for U.S. and foreign commercial and investment banks as lenders to private equity funds. She works on many of the practice’s hybrid collateral facilities and international and multi-currency transactions.
Ellen serves on the firm’s Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Technology Committee, Opinion Committee, and the HB REAL Diversity Oversight Committee, which serves as an advisory committee on diversity, equity, and inclusion and oversees the implementation of recommendations to improve the recruitment, retention, and promotion of diverse talent at the firm. She is currently the chair of the firm’s Admission to Partnership Committee and also leads the firm’s knowledge management efforts.
A graduate of Yale University, Ellen is highly involved in volunteer service to her alma mater. Most recently, she co-founded and served as founding chair of YaleWomen, the organization for women graduates of Yale College and Yale’s Graduate School and professional schools. She is a recipient of the Yale Medal, the highest award presented by the Association of Yale Alumni to recognize and honor outstanding individual service to the university.
Ellen has been active in women’s initiatives through her work with YaleWomen and at the firm, and through her service on the Council of Women’s Health Research at Yale, which advances health research for women across medical and psychosocial disciplines. A committed advocate for diversity at the firm, she has built a Finance group that reflects that priority with its multitude of different perspectives. She also serves as sponsor to diverse lawyers at the firm, and, through her work on the Diversity Oversight Committee, helps the firm to drive towards achieving its diversity goals.
- Represented major U.S. and foreign banks as lead agents and arrangers to structure, negotiate and document more than $30 billion of syndicated credit facilities and commercial paper facilities to real estate opportunity funds and other investment entities, secured by the capital commitments of fund investors.
- Represented lead agents and arrangers in multi-currency, multi-jurisdictional credit facilities to U.S. and non-U.S. borrowers.
- Represented lead agent in syndicated $700 million hybrid facility secured by capital commitments and portfolio assets for mezzanine fund.
- Chair and Founding Member, YaleWomen
- Member, Council of Advisors of Women's Health Research at Yale
- Former Chair, Board of Governors of the Association of Yale Alumni
- American Bar Association (International Law and Practice; Business Law; Law Practice Management)
- Former Partner, Commission on Women in the Profession
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- State Bar of Texas
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1985
B.A., Yale University, 1982, cum laude
District of Columbia
Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers Ellen McGinnis, Rick Anigian, Emma Russell, Deborah Low and Emily Fuller contributed to “Global Legal Insights to Fund Finance 2021,” produced in partnership with the Fund Finance Association. The newly published book covers legal trends and developments in the greater fund finance markets and gives law firms, financial institutions, funds and investors comprehensive [...]