Greg Michelson is the administrative partner of the Orange County office of Haynes and Boone and a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group. Greg provides strategic counseling, patent portfolio management, licensing, and has experience with post grant proceedings and IP litigation. He provides guidance in all aspects of intellectual property matters, including due diligence, opinions, as well as patent prosecution and litigation. Greg manages large, high technology patent portfolios and has prepared and prosecuted U.S. and foreign patent applications covering a wide variety of complex technologies, involving technology areas such as electrical devices, semiconductor processes, software and computer architectures, communication systems, medical devices, and mechanical devices. He also represents clients in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the Patent and Trademark Office. Greg supports patent litigations, including matters before the International Trade Commission (ITC) and federal district courts, for all phases of litigation from initial pre-filing analysis, to filing, discovery, depositions, expert reports, direct and cross-examinations, and briefs through trial.
In addition to his extensive legal experience and educational background in electrical engineering, Greg has more than seven years of technical engineering experience at Hughes Aircraft Company and TRW. At Hughes Aircraft Company, he performed hardware and software design analysis and test verification and development, for aircraft radar, communication, and associated systems. Greg was a systems engineer for satellite development at TRW where he performed system development and test along with payload performance analysis for complex communication systems.
In addition to his law degree, Greg holds M.S.E.E. and B.S.E.E. degrees in electrical engineering.
- In re Field Programmable Gate Arrays (337-TA-441): Represented complainant Xilinx, Inc. in a patent infringement case involving field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
- UPI Semiconductor Corporation v. Richtek Technology Corporation (CA State and USDC ND Cal): Represented UPI Semiconductor in a patent infringement case involving power management integrated circuits.
- State Bar of California
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Orange County Patent Law Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Recognized as a leading patent prosecution attorney by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000, Globe Business Media Group, 2019-2022
- "Patent Prosecution Panel," 4th Annual Intellectual Property Law Careers Event, speaker, San Diego, CA, March 29, 2011.
J.D., Loyola Law School Los Angeles, 1998, cum laude; (top 5% of class); Order of the Coif; Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review
Electrical Engineer, M.S.E.E., Communications and Signal/Image Processing, University of Southern California, 1992
Electrical Engineer, B.S.E.E., California State Polytechnic University, 1988, cum laude
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Haynes and Boone, LLP and 15 of its partners from California, Colorado, Illinois, Texas and Washington, D.C., were recognized in the 2022 edition of the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 legal directory. The publication recognized Haynes Boone among the top firms in the nation in various practice categories and among the leading firms in California, Illinois, and Texas. “Haynes Boon [...]
Haynes Boone Patent Prosecution Practice Ranked Among California’s Best by Chambers USAJune 14, 2022
14 Haynes and Boone Partners Ranked Among World’s Top Patent Lawyers by IAM Patent 1000July 13, 2021