J. Frasher Murphy
Frasher Murphy is chair of the Restructuring Practice Group at Haynes and Boone. Frasher has been recognized by Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021, as a leading bankruptcy and restructuring lawyer. Clients told Chambers researchers that he is "steady, practical and hard-working" (Chambers USA 2018). He is "phenomenal at legal negotiations" and he is able to "assume responsibility in a difficult situation and do an admirable job" (Chambers USA 2021).
Over the course of two decades of practice, Frasher has handled numerous complex Chapter 11 cases, out-of-court workout matters, and distressed mergers and acquisitions. He also has substantial experience representing both creditors and debtors in Article 9 sale transactions. In his practice, Frasher represents debtors, traditional and nontraditional secured lenders, post-petition lenders, bondholders, asset purchasers and all other types of secured and unsecured creditors.
One of Frasher’s greatest strengths is his ability to understand his client’s business goal and then craft a targeted legal solution to achieve that business goal. In doing so, he has obtained significant courtroom victories and closed high profile transactions across numerous industries, including oil and gas, real estate, metals and mining, manufacturing, distribution, transportation, healthcare, homebuilding, restaurant and retail, and technology.
Frasher is a frequent speaker and author on bankruptcy and restructuring topics, including developing issues in Chapter 11 sale transactions, debtor-in-possession financing, and plan confirmation. He is an active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association, and the Dallas Bar Association.
- During the last 5 years, represented clients on all sides of the docket in more than 50 Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts in the oil and gas industry.
- Represented Administrative Agent for a $500 million senior secured credit facility in the Arena Energy LP Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Represented Administrative Agent for a $190 million senior secured credit facility in the Sundance Energy, Inc. Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Represented the bond trustee for $140 million of secured bonds in the Buckingham Senior Living Community, Inc. Chapter 11 case pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Represented EXCO Resources, Inc., and its affiliates, in the litigation of certain claims arising in their bankruptcy cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Represented 2nd largest holder of a $283 million senior secured credit facility in the Ursa Piceance Holdings, LLC Chapter 11 cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented DIP financing lender in the Transformation Tech Investors, Inc. cases pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented Administrative Agent for the senior secured lenders in the comprehensive out-of-court financial restructuring of Tapstone Energy, LLC.
- Represented Knoll, Inc. in a 9-day trial in the Garner v. Knoll, Inc. (In re Tusa-Expo Holdings Inc.) adversary proceeding filed in the Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas. Successfully obtained a take-nothing judgment in favor of client, which was affirmed on appeal by both the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Secured Creditors: Representation of lenders, lender groups, investors, bondholder groups and all other types of secured creditors in commercial bankruptcy cases and out of court workouts and restructurings.
- Unsecured Creditors: Representation of unsecured creditors' committees, trade creditors, landlords, lessors and all other types of unsecured creditors.
- Debtors: Representation of Chapter 11 debtors in complex Chapter 11 cases and out of court restructurings.
- Purchasers: Representation of asset purchasers.
- Energy: Representation of creditors, asset purchasers, and interest owners in oil and gas and all other types of energy workouts and bankruptcy cases.
- Litigation: Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in all types of bankruptcy litigation, including preference litigation, fraudulent transfer litigation, lien avoidance, insider litigation, equitable subordination and contract disputes.
- Article 9: Representation of both secured lenders and borrowers in sales under Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- DFW Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers, Past Secretary and Board of Directors
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2016-2023
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Texas for Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2022
- Recognized in D Magazine's Best Lawyers of Dallas, D Magazine Partners, 2022
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2005-2006, 2008-2014
- Recognized in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, Bankruptcy, 2022
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, 1999
B.S., Vanderbilt University, 1996, cum laude
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partner Kelli Stephenson Norfleet is joining the 2022 Class of the American Bankruptcy Institute’s (ABI’s) prestigious 40 Under 40 Program. ABI is the largest multi-disciplinary, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research and education on matters related to insolvency. ABI was founded in 1982 to provide Congress and the public with unbiased analysis of bankruptcy issues. [...]
Global M&A Network Ranks Frasher Murphy Among Nation’s Leading Restructuring LawyersSeptember 06, 2022
Haynes Boone Restructuring Group Receives Top Ranking in Chambers USA 2022 DirectoryJune 14, 2022