Bruce Newsome represents all types of companies, including those that are going public, are already public, or want to raise capital without using the public markets.
He helps his clients successfully navigate the complex and uncertain initial public offering process. In representing companies that are already public, Bruce has significant experience advising on such issues as SEC and stock exchange reporting requirements, including the ever-changing executive compensation disclosure requirements. Public companies also turn to Bruce in connection with raising additional capital, as well as making acquisitions and dispositions.
Many companies desire to avoid the ramifications of being a public company, but still have large capital-raising requirements. Bruce works to acquire such funding for companies in all types of industries, particularly the energy, technology, and medical sectors. Clients rely on Bruce’s experience with capital-raising techniques including private placements of equity and debt (including convertible equity and debt), as well as Rule 144A placements of equity and debt.
Having grown up in Dallas, Bruce is very tied to the community and takes great pride in giving back to his hometown. Currently, he is the president of the North Texas Chapter of the Davidson College Alumni Association. He is the immediate past president of the Hockaday Neighborhood Association, and a past president of the Notre Dame School of Dallas, which focuses on teaching students with intellectual disabilities and facilitating their integration into society.
Previously, Bruce served his maximum three terms as a member of the Semones (Town North YMCA) Board of Management and as a member of the St. Mark’s School of Texas Alumni Association. In addition, he currently serves as the co-chair of his St. Mark’s class reunion committee. He is also on the board of the Father of the Year charity, which supports children’s charities and scholarship funds, and he serves as the Chair of the 2021 Father of the Year luncheon. Bruce was recently elected to the board of directors of the YMCA for Metropolitan Dallas.
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Recognized by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, in “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for Corporate Securities/Capital Markets, 2021
- “Capital Raising in the Oil Patch Through Private Equity and IPO,” presenter, Dallas Bar Association Review of Oil and Gas Law XXXII, August 10-11, 2017.
- “Private Placement Securities Law Exemptions for Issuers as Compared to Resellers,” presenter, Dallas Bar Association, Securities Section Meeting, May 23, 2016.
- "Addressing the New Proxy Access Rules," co-author, Compliance Reporter, September 27, 2010.
- "New Disclosure Rules for Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance," speaker, Alvarez & Marsal, "Changing the Face of Finance" Breakfast Seminar, February 2010.
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1995, Teaching Quizmaster and Section Coordinator; Order of the Coif
A.B., Davidson College, 1990, cum laude
On July 26, 2023, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) adopted new final rules and form amendments (the “Rules”) addressing cybersecurity incidents as well as cybersecurity risk management, strategy, and governance. The Rules are designed to enhance and standardize the cybersecurity-related disclosure required by public companies subject to the reporting requirements of the Securities Ex [...]