Chair of our Patent Trials and Licensing Practice Group, David O'Dell brings more than 25 years of experience to his clients’ patent matters. His practice includes participating in inter partes reviews (IPRs), negotiating patent licenses, and preparing and prosecuting patent applications. David has filed more than 100 petitions for IPR, making him one of the most prolific attorneys representing IPR petitioners before the United States Patent Trials and Appeals Board (PTAB).
Clients benefit from David’s deep technical experience, including in the areas of semiconductor processing, circuit design, computer software and hardware, and telecommunications. Prior to joining the firm, David was a professional engineer and worked for several years in the electronics industry as a computer memory designer, semiconductor product engineer, and computer programmer.
David's technology law experience includes:
- Representing clients in inter partes reviews (IPRs), including hearings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Drafting and prosecuting United States patent applications.
- Developing intellectual property portfolios for both start-up and later stage technology companies.
- Implementing competitor analysis and evaluation, and identifying and exploiting patent "white space" in the competitive landscape.
- Representing and defending companies in the assertion of U.S. and foreign patents.
- Counseling regarding patent validity and infringement opinions and the design and implementation of non-infringing alternatives to patented technology.
- Working with trial lawyers in complex patent infringement suits.
- Phi Delta Phi legal honor society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Dallas/Fort Worth Patent Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Ranked among the top 10 patent attorneys in Patexia Inc.'s Patent Prosecution Intelligence Report, 2023
- Ranked as the nation’s fourth best performing lawyer in high tech and as the sixth best performing lawyer in Patexia Inc.'s Patent Prosecution Intelligence Report, 2023
- Ranked among the top 50 best performing attorneys in Patexia Inc.’s Patent Prosecution Intelligence Report, 2022
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, Globe White Page Ltd, 2020-2023
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2017-2024
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1995
Electrical Engineer, The University of Texas at Austin, 1987
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
The Patent Lawyer magazine ranked Haynes and Boone, LLP among the Top 10 Patent Firms in the “North America – South” region in 2022. The magazine conducts extensive research throughout the year to select leading intellectual property (IP) and patent firms in jurisdictions worldwide. Selection criteria include client testimonials, market reputation, and cited achievements over the past year, amon [...]