Vicki Odette is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and is Global Chair of the Investment Management Practice Group. Vicki regularly advises fund sponsors on the structure and design of their U.S. and non-U.S. investment funds, co-investments and separately managed accounts in virtually every sector of the hedge, venture and private equity space. Vicki advises investment funds on the structure of their underlying private equity investments and she assists clients with complex partnership, LLC, joint venture and preferred equity arrangements. Vicki also advises fund sponsors on seed arrangements and executive compensation and employment arrangements.
Vicki represents institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, and family offices in their investments into a wide variety of investment platforms, including open-ended and closed-ended funds, separately managed accounts, co-investments and joint ventures. Individuals and families with net worths in excess of $1 billion seek Vicki’s advice on business planning matters associated with the formation and operation of family offices, and for representation on their investments.
Vicki also advises clients on the formation, structuring, and operation of insurance dedicated funds (IDF), including relating to insurance dedicated fund of private equity funds structures and insurance dedicated fund of hedge fund structures, both of which customarily involve thorough negotiations with IDF counterparties. Vicki recently created a combination private equity/hedge fund IDF structure for an investment sub-advisor – the first of its kind in the market.
Vicki’s representations include:
- Representing a sovereign wealth fund on worldwide investments in energy, private equity, infrastructure, hedge, debt, and credit funds and co-investments
- Representing an oil and gas company sponsor on the formation of numerous investment funds with capital commitments of $3 billion with taxable, tax-exempt, and foreign investors
- Representing a real estate company sponsor on the formation of an open-ended real estate fund with taxable and tax-exempt investors
- Representing a sponsor in the formation of a private real estate investment trust (REIT)
- Representing natural resource operating companies and producers on pipeline, drilling, working interest, net profits interest, and royalty joint ventures
- Representing companies in the energy, pharmaceutical, media, manufacturing, healthcare, and technology industries in joint venture transactions
- Representing an oil and gas company on the formation and initial public offering of a publicly traded master limited partnership
- Former Chair, Private Investment Fund Subcommittee, Private Equity & Venture Capital Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Corporate Tax Committee, State Bar of Texas Tax Section
- Former Chair, Tax Law Advisory Commission, State Bar of Texas
- Former Vice-Chair, Partnership and Real Estate Tax Committee, State Bar of Texas Tax Section
- Former Chair, International Environmental Tax Subcommittee, Environmental Tax Committee, American Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Taxation and Business Law Sections
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section and Business Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., in Tax Law, 2013-2024
- Named a Best Business Lawyer in Dallas for Tax by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, 2009, 2011, 2015-2017
- Selected for inclusion in Dallas Business Journal's list of Who's Who in Energy, American City Business Journals, 2015
- Named one of the Best Women Lawyers in Dallas for Tax by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, 2010
- Martindale Hubbell Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV Preeminent
LL.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1997
LL.M., International Law, Georgetown University Law Center, 1995, with distinction
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1994, cum laude, Order of Coif
B.A., Texas A&M University, 1990, magna cum laude
New SEC rules mean investment advisers will face complexities and challenges in the coming months. Haynes Boone Investment Management Global Chair Vicki Odette sits down with Partners Madelyn Calabrese, Evan Hall, and Kurt Gottschall to parse through the impact of the new regulations.
New SEC rules mean investment advisers will face complexities and challenges in the coming months. Haynes Boone Investment Management Global Chair Vicki Odette sits down with Partners Madelyn Calabrese, Evan Hall, and Kurt Gottschall to parse through the impact of the new regulations. Adding to the firm’s publications on the new private fund adviser rules, the panel discusses the industry’s expe [...]