REITs and REMICs
Our sophisticated national Real Estate Practice Group works closely with a variety of clients involved or interested in starting a real estate investment trust (REIT) or a real estate mortgage investment conduit (REMIC).
Our lawyers have significant experience advising clients on virtually every matter related to REITs, including:
- Formation, organization and operation of REITs
- Taxation of REITs
- Maintenance of REIT qualification
- Property acquisitions and other investment transactions by REITs
- Acquisition, merger and liquidation of REITs
We regularly counsel clients on issues regarding the taxation of investors in REITs, including tax-exempt investors and foreign investors. We work closely with our corporate, finance and real estate lawyers to achieve favorable results for clients, leveraging our knowledge and experience to provide innovative solutions that help fulfill our clients' business and economic objectives.
Our real estate lawyers routinely advise clients on issues relating to all aspects of REMICs, including:
- Formation of REMICs
- Structuring regular and residual interests in REMICs
- Loan modification issues, especially the significant modification test and exceptions to circumstances in which significant modifications result in prohibited transactions and/or loss of qualified mortgage status
- Taxation issues for REMICs
We continually monitor the ever-changing landscape of relating to REMICs' ability to modify debt instruments in connection with non-performing (or expected to be non-performing) loans.
Haynes Boone is pleased to share some of our Real Estate Practice Group’s 2022 highlights. Our more than 55 real estate lawyers in offices across the country have broad expertise in all facets of the real estate industry. We represent leading institutional owners, operators, developers, investors, and lenders in buying, selling, developing, leasing, financing, and restructuring real estate on a na [...]