Don Shiman counsels clients on a variety of tax matters, including with respect to both public and private mergers and acquisitions, corporate structurings and restructurings, securities offerings, private equity funds, hedge funds, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, cross-border structuring, and cross border acquisitions.
Don’s clients are involved in a range of industries, including food, healthcare, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, and technology. Don also regularly advises clients that operate in the energy sector such as private equity funds, master limited partnerships, and corporations.
His clients know Don will always provide practical, commercial, yet insightful solutions to their tax issues. They appreciate his ability to communicate and work well with sophisticated clients and tax professionals, as well as with savvy business owners with a limited understanding of tax law.
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021
Selected Publications and Speeches
- “Preparing for Private Equity Merger and Acquisition Transactions,” CPAmerica Tax Conference, November 8, 2016
- Represented a leading provider of mobility solutions in its strategic acquisition of another provider, enabling it to greatly expand its services and reach.
- Represented a physical metals and minerals commodity merchant in the sale of its majority interest.
- Represented a private equity fund with a focus on investments in the global financial services industry in its formation with capital commitments more than $4 billion.
- Represented a major local broadcast television and digital media company in its merger into a public company.
- Represented a foreign company in its issuance of multiple Eurobonds worth $2.15 billion.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of its leading health care service company in a cash transaction valued at $1 billion.
- Represented a real estate private equity fund in its formation with more than $1 billion in capital commitments.
- Represented a private equity fund with a focus on investments in mature companies in its formation with more than $5 billion in capital commitments.
- Represented a private equity fund focused on investments in middle-market companies undergoing a fundamental change in capital structure, strategy, operations or growth in its formation with more than $2 billion in capital commitments.
B.A., Talmudic Law, Ner Israel Rabbinical College, 2003
J.D., Rutgers School of Law Newark, 2012, summa cum laude; Order of the Coif; Rutgers Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award in Tax Law; Editor, Rutgers Law Review
Master's Degree, Rabbinic Studies, Beth Medrash Govoha, 2006
LL.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law, 2017
Seventy-five Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” directory this month. The Ones to Watch distinction is given to attorneys early in their careers in recognition of their outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the U.S. Nominated by peers in the industry, Ones to Watch recipients have been in practice for five to nine years. The fol [...]