Ryan Patrick focuses on white collar criminal defense and government investigations, leveraging his experience as a state and federal prosecutor and state district judge.
Ryan served as the 23rd presidentially appointed U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas from 2018-2021, overseeing the busiest criminal dockets in the country. During his time as U.S. Attorney, prosecutors in his office charged nearly 25,000 defendants in almost 22,000 cases, consistently ranking as the top district nationally in overall criminal prosecutions and criminal appeals.
Ryan has handled a broad array of white-collar cases as a state and federal prosecutor, including False Claims Act, Qui Tam, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and money laundering investigations involving foreign actors, public officials and corporate defendants in the banking, biotech, energy, healthcare and space industries.
Ryan began his career as an Assistant District Attorney in Harris County. He later served as Judge of the 177th state district court in Houston from 2012-2016.
Ryan has extensive experience in the courtroom as the lead lawyer in over 60 jury trials and has presented oral arguments before the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. As a judge Ryan presided over more than 100 jury trials.
- Lead an internal investigation for a foreign company in a hack and theft of millions of dollars of bitcoin.
- Conducted a counterfeit investigation on behalf of a nationwide vaping device company leading to the seizure of more than 20,000 counterfeit products with federal and state court orders along with criminal prosecution referrals for the sellers and wholesalers of the counterfeit devices.
- Counseled a high profile extreme experience company on limiting and investigating fraudulent credit card chargebacks.
- Lead the investigation of the Santa Fe High School shooting
- Prosecuted the owner and operator of India-based call centers sentenced for scamming U.S. victims out of millions
- Prosecuted a Chinese energy company, U.S. oil & gas affiliate and Chinese national indicted for theft of trade secrets
- Prosecuted a Texas professor and NASA researcher arrested on charges related to China’s Talents Program
- Prosecuted a former Venezuelan official charged in connection with international bribery and money laundering scheme
- Prosecuted Ukrainian men who plead guilty to conspiracy and trafficking counterfeit cancer and hepatitis drugs
- Prosecuted the last defendant convicted in Stanford International Bank $7 billion investment fraud scheme
- Prosecuted a Texas doctor convicted in $325 million health care fraud scheme
*Some of these cases were handled prior to joining Haynes and Boone.
- U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Texas, 2018-2021
- Judge, 177th District Court, 2012-2016
- Assistant District Attorney (Harris County), 2006-2012
- "What To Do When Things Go Boom: Lawyer Crisis Management," speaker, Houston Bar Association, April 22, 2022.
- "The Art of the Interview: Behavioral Science and Real-Life Takeaways for Interviewing Employees, Whistleblowers and Third Parties," speaker, ACI 2022 Houston Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Conference, January 27, 2022.
- Fraud Fighter Podcast, Guest, 041 - United States Attorney - Ryan Patrick, November 29, 2021. Listen on Apple Podcast or Spotify.
- Houston Area Police Chiefs Meeting, guest speaker, August 24, 2021.
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston, 2006, The Order of Barristers
B.B.A., Baylor University, 2001, Sigma Iota Epsilon
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
The gag order restricting some communications in litigation surrounding the fatal Astroworld festival came front and center Monday as lawyers argued whether the court’s decision should stand. Concerns over the publicity order — signed last month by 11th District Court Judge Kristen Hawkins — surfaced soon after rapper Travis Scott in early March publicized the debut of Project HEAL, a nonprofit [...]