César Ramirez is a foreign counsel in the International Practice Group, with more than 15 years of experience working on complex projects and legal matters with respect to Mexico and Latin America and the Caribbean at large. César has advised a wide variety of companies in both domestic and international transactions involving the automotive sector, general corporate, aviation, M&A, cross-border transactions, antitrust, energy, real estate, and transactions with industrial, commercial, residential, and hospitality properties in Mexico and Latin America/Caribbean. He received his master of laws degree from Northwestern University School of Law and his juris doctor from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) in Mexico. César also completed a Certificate in Business Administration at the IE Business School in Spain.
His experience includes, among other transactions:
- Counseling U.S. investors and structuring the acquisition of retail shopping centers in Mexico.
- $200 million investment in high-end real estate residential and hospitality projects in Mexico.
- Representation of a Mexican industrial real estate developer in the structure and negotiation of a major transaction of $180 million investment in Mexican industrial portfolio with one of the most important pension funds of the United States.
- Counseling U.S. and Mexican investors and structuring the incorporation and operation of multi-purpose financial company (Sociedad Financiera de Objeto Múltiple).
- Representation of a major Mexican industrial real estate developer with a portfolio of more than a million square meters.
- Acquisitions of industrial properties (land and finished buildings) in Mexico, including representation in negotiations related to the development, construction and management of industrial properties in Mexico.
- Counseling major multinational retailer in the acquisition and lease of land in Mexico, including representation in negotiations related to the development, construction, lease and management of retail shopping centers.
- Assist Gamesa Technology Corp. in the due diligence of all ejido properties for the long-term supply agreement executed with developer Cannon Power to build wind farms in Mexico's Baja California.
- Participation in the due diligence and the corporate and regulatory advice to Afore XXI in its bid and agreement to acquire Afore Bancomer from Spain's Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA) for about $1.6 billion.
- Counseling Tarahumara Pipeline, S. de R.L. de C.V., a subsidiary of Grupo Fermaca, which was selected as the winning bid in a public auction by the Mexican Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) to build and operate the natural gas pipeline for the northern region of Mexico in the state of Chihuahua. The 237-mile 36-inch natural gas transmission pipeline will cost more than US$440 million to build.
- Counseling Grupo Fermaca with the acquisition by Partners Group, a global private equity firm headquartered in Zug, Switzerland, of a majority stake in Fermaca from New York private equity firm, Ospraie. The transaction was valued at $750 million and funded through a combination of mezzanine debt and equity.
- "Development Capital Certificates (CKDs)," Real Estate Newsletter of the International Bar Association, Vol. 15, September 2011.
- "The bet for the financial recovery," International Financial Law Review (IFLR), Euromoney Publication, Supplement - Real Estate - September, 2010.
- Real Estate Law: Selected matters and perspective of the Market, Second Part of Chapter 9, "Mortgage-backed securitisations and Development Capital Certificates: The future of the securitisations in the real estate market," UNAM-ITAM-Porrúa, 2010.
J.D., Instituto Tecnologico Autnomo de Mexico ITAM, with honors
LL.M., Northwestern University School of Law
Foreign Legal Consultant for Texas
Latin Lawyer published an article about the financing and construction of a Mexican manufacturing plant that will produce parts for Toyota, a client of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Here is an excerpt: A branch of Japanese conglomerate Mitsui Group has hired González Calvillo, SC to provide a US$98 million financing for the construction and operation of a Mexican manufacturing plant that will produce [...]