Payton Roberts is an associate in the Litigation Practice Group in the Dallas office of Haynes Boone. He focuses on securities litigation, securities law defense, antitrust, and internal and government investigations.
Payton graduated from the University of Oklahoma College of Law with Honors and was the Research Editor of the Oklahoma Law Review. During law school Payton interned for Judge Patrick R. Wyrick in the Western District of Oklahoma and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Texas.
Prior to law school, Payton served as an officer in the United States Marine Corps. During his time in service, he served as a Platoon Commander and Training Officer with First Law Enforcement Battalion. In 2017, Payton deployed with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit. Payton was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal. Before joining the Marine Corps, Payton served on the official staff of the Honorable Kevin Brady out of the 8th Congressional District of Texas.
Payton received his undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University. At Texas A&M, Payton's primary role was the Founder/Executive Director of FREE, a student organization aimed at getting students involved in the fight against human trafficking.
- Dallas Regional Chamber Young Professionals
- Dallas Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
- “Winning the Digital Asset Frontier: Insights from Recent Trends in SEC Enforcement, Tokenization, and Intellectual Property,” co-panelist, North American Blockchain Summit, November 15, 2023.
- "5th Circ. Ruling Shows Need For Proffer Terms Negotiation," co-author, Law360, October 18, 2023.
- "What to do about business-related text and WhatsApp messages," co-author, Compliance Cosmos, October 2023.
- “Why Celebrities are Ensnared in SEC Crypto-Touting Actions,” co-author, Law360, March 1, 2023.
J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, 2022, with honors; Research Editor, Oklahoma Law Review
B.S., Leadership Studies, Texas A&M University, 2013
Intern to the Honorable Patrick R. Wyrick, U.S. District Court of the Western District of Oklahoma, 2020
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partner Nick Bunch and Associates Ashley Koos and Payton Roberts authored an article in Law360 on the need for the criminal defense bar to be adamant that the government negotiate the terms of a proffer agreement. Read an excerpt below: With life and liberty at stake, criminal defense attorneys avoid venturing into uncharted waters with the prosecution. Challenging the govern [...]