Lyric Stephenson is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the Dallas office of Haynes Boone. Lyric focuses her practice on preparing and prosecuting U.S., Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and foreign utility patent applications. Her practice also includes design patent applications and general IP counseling.
Before joining the firm, Lyric worked as a research assistant in a scientific computation laboratory comparing mathematical and statistical modeling with longitudinal data, and performing dynamical systems modeling to understand mechanisms of behavior change among individuals with alcohol use disorder undergoing behavioral treatment.
Lyric also has experience as a research and development engineer at a startup medical device company designing and building vascular closure devices. It was during this experience where she discovered her new passion—patent law—as she collaborated with counsel on patent strategy.
During her time in law school, Lyric focused her studies on technology and intellectual property law, where she participated in the Samuelson Law, Technology, & Public Policy Clinic. There she gained valuable experience in the field of open-source software licensing.
- "Brand owners should get TM versed in the metaverse," co-author, Reuters, May 18, 2022.
- “Qualifying for the USPTO’s COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Pilot Program,” co-author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Volume 33, No. 2, February 2021.
- “Life Sciences Considerations Regarding Compulsory Licensing, March-In Rights, and the Defense Production Act During COVID-19,” co-author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Volume 33, No. 1, January 2021.
- “A Comparison of Mathematical and Statistical Modeling with Longitudinal Data: An Application to Ecological Momentary Assessment of Behavior Change in Problem Drinkers,” co-author, North Carolina State University, Center for Research in Scientific Computation, 2019.
- “Dynamical systems modeling to identify a cohort of problem drinkers with similar mechanisms of behavior change,” co-author, Journal for Person-Oriented Research, Volume 3, No.2, 2017.
- “Dynamic modeling of problem drinkers undergoing behavioral treatment,” co-author, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, Volume 79, No. 6, 2017.
- “Statistical error model comparison for logistic growth of green algae,” co-author, Applied Mathematics Letters, Volume 64, 2017.
J.D., University of California Berkeley School of Law, 2021, Law & Technology Certificate
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2018, summa cum laude
B.S., Applied Mathematics, North Carolina State University, 2018, summa cum laude
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Associates Mike McArthur, Ellie Sowanick and Lyric Stephenson authored an article in Reuters titled “Brand Owners Should Get TM Versed in the Metaverse.” Read an excerpt below: By now, we have all heard the term "metaverse," but what does it actually mean? In a nutshell, the metaverse is the next generation internet: a 3-D version that users can "step inside" and experience via virtual reality, [...]