Matt Stewart, a partner in the Investment Management and Private Equity Practice Groups in the Dallas office of Haynes and Boone, focuses his practice primarily on structuring, forming, and advising private equity, venture capital, energy, and other private investment funds and their management companies. Matt has assisted private investment funds throughout each phase of the investment life cycle, from deal sourcing, platform transactions, acquisition financing and tax structuring, to add-on acquisitions, portfolio company management, and exit and other liquidity transactions.
Matt regularly counsels funds and their portfolio companies in merger and acquisition transactions, joint ventures, and other strategic transactions; management teams with respect to private-equity backed investments and equity compensation arrangements; and private equity and venture capital funds in minority growth equity investments. Matt also advises clients regarding the structuring and operation of entities serving as general partners and managers to funds and portfolio companies, with a particular focus on internal governance and economic arrangements, including the allocation and vesting of carried interest, joint ventures with and investments from third parties, generational transition and other partner additions and departures, and subscription lines of credit.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Taxation Sections
- Multiple platform acquisitions, add-on acquisitions, divestitures, and minority investments for private equity clients such as Trive Capital, Wingate Partners, and Gauge Capital.
- Various partnerships and limited liability companies in joint venture transactions across a wide range of industries.
- Various fund managers in the negotiation of equity ownership structures, governance issues, and equity incentive plans.
- Trive Capital in its acquisition of Pental Granite and Marble, LLC, a wholesale tile and stone distributor based out of Washington.
- Trive Capital in its acquisition of conventional assets of Chesapeake Energy Corporation in the Southern Appalachian region.
- Wingate Partners in its acquisition of Binswanger Glass, a seller and installer of glass and glass-related products for commercial, residential, and automotive use.
- Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Beauty Industry Group.
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2024
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 2014, Texas Journal on Civil Liberties and Civil Rights; The Review of Litigation
B.S., Political Science, Texas Christian University, 2010, summa cum laude
Haynes and Boone, LLP is proud to promote 16 lawyers to its partnership ranks, effective Jan. 1. The 2023 New Partner Class includes: D.J. Beaty, Brent Beckert, Valisa Berber-Thayer, Dina Blikshteyn, Zach Burnett, Tiffany Cooke, Natalie DuBose, Christopher Konopka, Joseph Lawlor, Charlene Liu, Garrett Martin, Mike McArthur, Taryn McDonald, Chase A.M. Proctor, Matt S. Stewart, and Scott Thompson. [...]