As co-chair of the Greater China Practice Group, Frank Wu represents both U.S. and Chinese companies on domestic and cross-border transactions. From the energy industry to the biotechnology sector, Frank has taken startup companies to successful IPOs and worked with business leaders on strategic alliances, mergers, and acquisitions.
Frank brings years of experience to his clients’ transactions as one of the earliest practitioners of corporate cross-border M&A transactions between U.S. and Chinese companies. For example, in 2008, Frank assisted a Chinese public company in its acquisition of a U.S. target, which was reported by Bloomberg News as one of largest acquisitions of a U.S. target by a Chinese company at the time.
Frank works with an array of public and private companies with a range of interests: energy in the oil service sector, biotechnology in licensing and acquisitions, pipeline acquisitions and build-outs, technology growth and IPOs, and international chemical distribution. For every engagement, Frank has the same goal: to work closely with his clients to ensure an outcome that balances their legal needs with their business goals. Clients appreciate that Frank offers not only a wealth of legal experience, but also business-minded strategic advice.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Yale Alumni Association
- Lead transaction counsel for a major Chinese NYSE-listed biotech company in its US$160 million acquisition of a U.S. target.
- Lead transaction counsel for a NASDAQ-listed emerging growth company in its initial public offering of US$36 million in equity and its follow-on public offering of US$73 million in equity.
- Lead transaction counsel for a NASDAQ-listed company in its US$920 million merger with an NYSE-listed company in the biotechnology industry.
- Lead transaction counsel to the special committee of a major pipeline company in its US$70 million acquisition of various pipeline assets.
- Lead transaction counsel to the special committee of a major pipeline company in its US$200 million exchange of various pipeline assets as part of a US$1 billion pipeline build-out.
- Lead transaction counsel for a major NYSE-listed biotech company in its $65 million acquisition of a genomics company.
- Lead transaction counsel for a privately owned Chinese enterprise in its US$300 million joint venture with a U.S. company in the oil service industry.
- Lead transaction counsel to a foreign company in its acquisition of an oil service company in Singapore.
- Lead transaction counsel to a major international chemical distributor regarding mergers and acquisitions in Latin America.
- Lead transaction counsel to a major international chemical distributor in the negotiation of US$50 million distribution agreement with a major chemical manufacturer.
- Lead transaction counsel to an energy company regarding the bulk sale of specialty chemicals to various Chinese companies.
- Lead transaction counsel for a group of investors in its $15 million dollar investment in a biotechnology company.
- Lead transaction counsel to a renewable energy company in its $15 million EB-5 financing.
- Lead transaction counsel to a biotechnology company in its $8 million private placement.
- Lead transaction counsel to a U.S. biotech company regarding the licensing of various drug rights in China and the Middle East.
- Counsel to a Chinese oil company in its US$80 million acquisition of oil participation interests in Ecuador.
- Counsel to an NYSE-listed company in its US$1.8 billion acquisition of electrical generating assets.
- Counsel to an NYSE-listed company in its US$900 million acquisition of major pipeline and gas storage assets.
- Counsel to an NYSE-listed utility in its US$200 million acquisition of various power plants.
- Counsel to a major energy company in its sale of certain gathering facilities, rights of way and other assets located in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Counsel to an international energy company in its US$125 million project finance lease transaction involving underwater electric transmission cable and in a related equity investment transaction with joint venture partners.
- Counsel to an NYSE-listed company in its US$72 million acquisition of a paper mill company
- Counsel to a seller in its more than US$20 million sale of its stevedoring business.
- Counsel to a major international oil company in its US$200 million financing program for gas stations throughout the U.S.
- Counsel to a NASDAQ-listed issuer in the acquisition of seven information technology services companies and the initial public offering of US$63.5 million in equity.
- Counsel to a NASDAQ-listed issuer in the acquisition of eight construction businesses and the initial public offering of US$103.5 million in equity.
- Counsel to a major hedge fund in the negotiations with a major utility of a tolling agreement, QSE services agreements and energy management agreements.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2010
- Representation of WuXi Pharmatech in its $65 million acquisition from NextCode Health named Best US Technology Deal of 2015 by Acquisition International
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1996, Member, Texas International Law Journal
B.A., Economics, Yale University, 1993, cum laude, with distinction
Haynes and Boone, LLP represented Applied Optoelectronics, Inc. (AOI) as issuer’s counsel in its offering of $80.5 million of 5.00% Convertible Senior Notes due 2024. The offering closed on March 5, 2019, and generated net proceeds to AOI of approximately $76.4 million, after deducting the initial purchasers’ discounts and estimated offering expenses payable by AOI. Haynes and Boone Partners Frank [...]