Haynes and Boone, LLP and eight of its lawyers are included in the 2021 edition of Patexia Inc.’s IPR Intelligence Report on the nation’s leaders in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Among the report’s highlights, Haynes Boone ranked as the 6th most active firm representing petitioners.
Eight Haynes and Boone lawyers (Raghav Bajaj, Jonathan Bowser, Andrew Ehmke, Theo Foster, Eugene Goryunov, Gregory Huh, David McCombs, and David O’Dell) were ranked among the top 100 in various “most active” and “best performing” categories.
“The 2021 IPR Intelligence Report again validates the fact that Haynes Boone is a market leader in the IPR process, with a deep team that has significant experience helping our clients protect their intellectual property,” said O’Dell, firm partner and chair of the Patent Trials and Counseling Practice Group.
The 2021 report covers 7,582 cases over a five-year period from July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2021. Patexia analyzed 5,087 unique patents and 80,831 unique patent claims challenged over the last five years to come up with the activity, success and performance scores for all attorneys, law firms and companies on the patent owner and petitioner sides. Patexia also surveyed more than 5,000 lawyers and more than 900 law firms in arriving at its rankings.
Here is the breakdown of Haynes Boone rankings:
Top 100 most active attorneys representing petitioners:
- McCombs ranked 4th, with 136 petitioner cases.
- Goryunov ranked 13th, with 97 petitioner cases.
- Bowser ranked 38th, with 66 petitioner cases.Ehmke ranked 56th, with 56 petitioner cases.
- Huh ranked 58th, with 55 petitioner cases.
- Bajaj ranked 99th, with 37 petitioner cases.
Top 100 most active attorneys overall representing petitioners or patent owners:
- Goryunov ranked 15th, with 152 cases.
- McCombs ranked 16th, with 145 cases.
- Bowser ranked 85th, with 74 cases.
- Foster ranked 93rd, with 72 cases.
Top 100 most active attorneys overall representing patent owners:
- Goryunov ranked 56th, with 55 cases.
Top 100 best performing attorneys representing petitioners:
- O’Dell ranked 69th, with a performance score of 58%.
Top 100 best performing attorneys (representing petitioners or patent owners):
- McCombs ranked 59th, with a score of 65%.
- Foster ranked 61st, with a score of 64%.
- O’Dell ranked 67th, with a score of 60%.
- Bowser ranked 94th, with a score of 52%.
Haynes Boone ranked in the following categories:
- 6th among Top 100 most active law firms representing petitions, with 235 petitioner cases.
- 11th among Top 100 most active firms overall representing petitioners or patent owners, with 269 cases.
- 59th among Top 100 most active firms representing patent owners, with 34 patent owner cases.
- 32nd among Top 100 best performing firms overall representing petitioners or patent owners, with a score of 80%.
- 36th among Top 100 best performing firms representing petitioners, with a score of 77%.
- 72nd among Top 100 best performing firms representing patent owners, with a score of 57%.
Haynes Boone’s IP Practice is a full-service practice including patent procurement, litigation and trial proceedings before the PTAB, where the firm is nationally recognized for successes in both defending clients’ patent IP and invalidating claims that are asserted against clients but never should have been issued by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). These PTAB trial proceedings include IPR, covered business method (CBM) review, post-grant review (PGR), and other proceedings before the PTAB.