Valisa Berber-Thayer’s practice focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters, such as corporate formation and governance and commercial contracts. She has advised public and private clients on both the purchaser and seller side in transactions ranging from complex cross-border transactions, acquisitions and sales of private companies, corporate reorganizations, to the corporate aspects of bankruptcy reorganizations and acquisitions. Valisa has assisted clients in a range of industries, including energy, manufacturing, commodities, construction, logistics, entertainment and technology and works with many of the firm’s international clients, particularly those with operations in Latin America and Europe.
Valisa also serves on the Houston board of the Epilepsy Foundation of Texas, as a member of the Emerging Leaders Group of the World Services Group.and as a Vanderbilt University Law School alumni interviewer. Additionally, she assists the Spain-Texas Committee of the Board of the Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce and is a member of the Latina Lawyers Network and United Way Young Leaders.
- Represented acquiror of planned 100MW (AC) utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Texas.
- Represented a private equity portfolio company in an add-on transaction in the film visual effects and post-production services and workflow solutions spaces.
- Represented an independent power producer in a series of acquisitions of utility-scale solar generation projects under development in various states, including Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Delaware.
- Represented a full-service provider of compliance solutions to corporate legal departments, compliance teams and law firms in its acquisition of all the issued share capital of a UK professional services information management specialist with operations in the U.S., UK, Germany, Australia and the UAE.
- Represented a leading infrastructure construction and materials company in multiple acquisitions and divestitures of various business divisions.
- Represented a worldwide metals and natural resources trader in its purchase of a global industrial raw materials division with operations in the United States, Europe, China and Russia.
- Advised subsidiaries of a major international energy company in the sale of its Argentinean downstream business.
- Represented a public oil and gas services company in the sale of its offshore services business.
- Represented a global provider of specialty chemicals in its acquisition of a privately-held industrial lubricants provider with operations in the United States, Canada and the Middle East.
- Advised a private full-service legal consulting and solutions provider on its merger with a legal, risk and compliance analytics and managed services firm with operations in the United States, Europe, India and China.
- Represented a global automotive, home and healthcare risk and asset management services provider in its acquisition of mobile application software utilized by individual end users residing in Mexico to manage their vehicles.
- Represented a public oil and gas services company in its acquisition of a private company engaged in the business of providing water management and water solutions to oil and gas operators in the Permian Basin market.
- Represented a private equity backed portfolio company in its acquisition of vessels and related offshore service assets from a company in bankruptcy.
- Represented a large electric utility in the acquisition of a series of projects to develop solar power facilities.
- Represented a global automotive, home and healthcare risk and asset management services provider in its acquisition of a software suite providing healthcare service management and health information exchange services.
- Represented a sports broadcasting network in the negotiation of a plan of reorganization following the network’s involuntary bankruptcy.
- Represented a large electric utility in the sale of its commercial barge operations subsidiary.
- Internal corporate reorganizations for both domestic and multinational companies looking to streamline operations, update their corporate structure and/or prepare for acquisition activities.
- Review of commercial contracts for the provision of services, equipment and/or commercial products.
- Houston Board Member, Epilepsy Foundation of Texas
- Emerging Leaders Group Member, World Services Group
- Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Vanderbilt University Law School alumni interviewer
- CHIME, Central Houston, Inc.
- HYPE Member, Greater Houston Partnership
- Houston Angel Network
- Latina Lawyers Network
- United Way Young Leaders; Co-Chair of Firm’s Non-Partner Lawyers Campaign
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2013, Moot Court Board; Vanderbilt Law Review
B.A., International Studies and Economics, Rhodes College, 2009, cum laude
Intern to Judge Anne Gardner, Second Court of Appeals of Texas, July 2011-August 2011
The Global M&A Network recognized three Haynes and Boone, LLP teams with 2021 Turnaround Atlas Awards in New York City this week. The awards honor value-creating transactions, outstanding firms and professionals of the year from the restructuring, investing, and insolvency communities during a virtual ceremony. Read about the Haynes and Boone honorees below: McDermott International Restructurin [...]