Valisa Berber-Thayer’s practice focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters, such as corporate formation and governance and commercial contracts. She has advised public and private clients on both the purchaser and seller side in transactions ranging from complex cross-border transactions, acquisitions and sales of private companies (including private equity portfolio companies), and corporate reorganizations. Additionally, she has advised distressed companies on the transactional and corporate governance aspects of out-of-court restructurings and Chapter 11 reorganizations and has advised both debtors and bidders in bankruptcy auctions. Valisa has assisted clients in a range of industries, including traditional and renewable energy, manufacturing, commodities, construction, logistics, consulting services, entertainment and technology, and she regularly assists clients with extensive international operations, particularly in Latin America and Europe.
Valisa also serves on the Houston board of the Epilepsy Foundation of Texas, as a member of the Emerging Leaders Group of the World Services Group, and as a Vanderbilt University Law School alumni interviewer. Additionally, she is a member of United Way Young Leaders. Valisa is proficient in Spanish.
- Represented acquiror of planned 100MW (AC) utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Texas.
- Represented a private equity portfolio company in an add-on transaction in the film visual effects and post-production services and workflow solutions spaces.
- Represented an independent power producer in a series of acquisitions of utility-scale solar generation projects under development in various states, including Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Delaware.
- Represented a full-service provider of compliance solutions to corporate legal departments, compliance teams and law firms in its acquisition of all the issued share capital of a UK professional services information management specialist with operations in the U.S., UK, Germany, Australia and the UAE.
- Represented a leading infrastructure construction and materials company in multiple acquisitions and divestitures of various business divisions.
- Represented a worldwide metals and natural resources trader in its purchase of a global industrial raw materials division with operations in the United States, Europe, China and Russia.
- Advised subsidiaries of a major international energy company in the sale of its Argentinean downstream business.
- Represented a public oil and gas services company in the sale of its offshore services business.
- Represented a global provider of specialty chemicals in its acquisition of a privately-held industrial lubricants provider with operations in the United States, Canada and the Middle East.
- Advised a private full-service legal consulting and solutions provider on its merger with a legal, risk and compliance analytics and managed services firm with operations in the United States, Europe, India and China.
- Represented a global automotive, home and healthcare risk and asset management services provider in its acquisition of mobile application software utilized by individual end users residing in Mexico to manage their vehicles.
- Represented a public oil and gas services company in its acquisition of a private company engaged in the business of providing water management and water solutions to oil and gas operators in the Permian Basin market.
- Represented a private equity backed portfolio company in its acquisition of vessels and related offshore service assets from a company in bankruptcy.
- Represented a large electric utility in the acquisition of a series of projects to develop solar power facilities.
- Represented a global automotive, home and healthcare risk and asset management services provider in its acquisition of a software suite providing healthcare service management and health information exchange services.
- Represented a sports broadcasting network in the negotiation of a plan of reorganization following the network’s involuntary bankruptcy.
- Represented a large electric utility in the sale of its commercial barge operations subsidiary.
- Internal corporate reorganizations for both domestic and multinational companies looking to streamline operations, update their corporate structure and/or prepare for acquisition activities.
- Review of commercial contracts for the provision of services, equipment and/or commercial products.
- Houston Board Member, Epilepsy Foundation of Texas
- Emerging Leaders Group Member, World Services Group
- Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Vanderbilt University Law School alumni interviewer
- CHIME, Central Houston, Inc.
- HYPE Member, Greater Houston Partnership
- Houston Angel Network
- Latina Lawyers Network
- United Way Young Leaders; Co-Chair of Firm’s Non-Partner Lawyers Campaign
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2013, Moot Court Board; Vanderbilt Law Review
B.A., International Studies and Economics, Rhodes College, 2009, cum laude
Intern to Judge Anne Gardner, Second Court of Appeals of Texas, July 2011-August 2011
Represented Streamland Media in its acquisition of SIM Video International’s post-production picture and sound finishing services business.
Represented acquiror of planned 100MW (AC) utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Texas.
Represented the lender in the negotiation of a $215 million first-lien 7 year term loan backed by long-term hedges and secured with the company’s Mobile Bay assets transferred into separate special purpose subsidiary borrowers. The proceeds will be utilized to pay down the company’s RBL and for othe [...]
Represented independent power producer in acquiring planned 60MW utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Virginia.
Represented independent power producer in acquiring planned 40MW utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Delaware.
Haynes and Boone, LLP represented a leading infrastructure construction and materials company in a divisional sale of its asphalt production business.
Haynes and Boone, LLP represented the co-founder of an international human resources and professional employer organization (PEO) in the sale of a portion of the co-founder’s ownership stake in connection with a debt and equity recapitalization of the organization.
Represented independent power producer in acquiring planned 50MW utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Ohio.
Represented Stratos Management Systems Holdings, LLC in a business combination whereby its wholly-owned subsidiary, Stratos Management Systems, Inc. and its operating companies, which do business as Computex Technology Solutions, merged with a wholly-owned subsidiary of a publicly-traded special pur [...]
Represented independent power producer in acquisition of planned 80MW utility-scale solar generation project under development in the State of Pennsylvania and negotiation of related power purchase agreement.
Haynes and Boone, LLP is proud to promote 16 lawyers to its partnership ranks, effective Jan. 1. The 2023 New Partner Class includes: D.J. Beaty, Brent Beckert, Valisa Berber-Thayer, Dina Blikshteyn, Zach Burnett, Tiffany Cooke, Natalie DuBose, Christopher Konopka, Joseph Lawlor, Charlene Liu, Garrett Martin, Mike McArthur, Taryn McDonald, Chase A.M. Proctor, Matt S. Stewart, and Scott Thompson. [...]