Jason Bloom is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who has represented clients in intellectual property and business cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. Jason chairs the Copyright Practice Group at Haynes and Boone and has litigated copyright disputes in federal district courts, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Jason also routinely represents clients in First Amendment and media cases before trial courts, appellate courts, and the Supreme Court of Texas, as well as trademark, trade secret, breach of contract, and complex business litigation disputes. Whether representing clients before a trial or appellate court, Jason is a “go to” attorney to devise the strategy, lead the charge, and stand up and argue the case. A true leader in the courtroom, the community, and the office, Jason works tirelessly on all aspects of his cases with one goal — achieving optimal results for his clients.
Jason has represented clients in a variety of industries, including software, telecommunications, media, entertainment, advertising and marketing, energy, consulting manufacturing, real estate, test preparation, and employee recruitment.
Jason routinely writes and speaks on intellectual property, First Amendment, and other legal issues, including recent articles in The Texas Bar Journal, IP Strategist, Law360, and the International Trademark Association Bulletin. Jason also authored a chapter in Inside the Minds: Understanding the Use of Social Media in Litigation and co-authored Corporate Practice Series Portfolio No. 91, Social Media Law in Bloomberg BNA. Jason has spoken on intellectual property law to the Center for American and International Law, State Bar of Texas, Southern Methodist University IP Law Symposium, and the Intellectual Property Section of the Dallas Bar Association.
Significant Appellate Representations
- Argued copyright case to Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals resulting in affirmance of $1 million award of attorneys’ fees for software client.
- Argued copyright infringement appeal to the Fifth Circuit and obtained full affirmance of trial court’s judgment in favor of entertainment industry clients. Briefed response to petition for writ of certiorari to United States Supreme Court and obtained denial of petition.
- Argued defamation case to Texas Supreme Court and obtain affirmance of summary judgment dismissal in favor of media client.
- Briefed case to Texas Supreme Court and obtained favorable per curiam decision in favor of defendant under Texas’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Argued business disparagement case to Dallas Court of Appeals and obtained full reversal of $1.3 million judgment.
- Represented oil and gas company before Dallas Court of Appeals and obtained reversal of $1.2 million judgment.
- Filed Amicus Brief in the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of International Trademark Association regarding trade dress functionality.
- Filed Amicus Brief in the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of International Trademark Association in case involving copyright registration requirements.
Significant Trial Court Representations
- Successfully defended 9-day copyright infringement trial brought in federal court by nationally syndicated radio host and book author seeking more than $13 million in damages by obtaining complete defense victory, declaratory relief in favor of clients, and substantial award of defense costs.
- Tried breach of contract case in Harris County District Court on behalf of cloud solutions provider and obtained award of full damages sought, attorneys’ fees, and contingent appellate fees.
- Obtained dismissal of federal court defamation case filed against media client in two separate district courts.
- Obtained dismissal of defamation and other claims by former employee against client under Texas’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of software company in case alleging trade secret theft, and later obtained award of more than $1 million in attorneys’ fees for client under Copyright Act.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of intellectual property investigations and acquisitions company in federal lawsuit alleging fraud in a domain name acquisition transaction and seeking $6 million in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of magazine publisher, author, and current and former police officers on First Amendment and statutory grounds in lawsuit asserting claims for libel, libel per se, tortious interference, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Represented respondent in enforcement proceeding before the International Trade Commission involving allegations of patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation regarding integrated circuits.
- Participated in trial resulting in $123 million verdict for client, an auto parts manufacturer, against chemical company found liable for chemical explosion at manufacturing plant.
- Instituted numerous seizure actions in copyright and trademark infringement disputes resulting in successful seizures of infringing items and injunctive relief on behalf of client.
- Represented client in federal trademark lawsuit involving large residential real estate franchisor.
- North Dallas Chamber of Commerce, board member
- International Trademark Association, Amicus Committee, past chair of Enforcement Subcommittee of Copyright Committee
- Media Law Resource Center, member of Copyright and Trademark Committee
- Dallas Chapter of Federal Bar Association, past President
- Dallas Bar Association Media Relations Committee, past Chair
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity, member
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2017-2022
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2011-2018
- Recognized in the Dallas Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Awards, American City Business Journals, 2017
- "US Copyright Claims Board: What You Need to Know," co-author, World IP Review, January 4, 2022.
- "INTA Files Another U.S. Supreme Court Amicus Brief on Functionality Question," author, INTA News, November 3, 2021.
- "Sulzer Mixpac AG v. A&N Trading Company," co-author, amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of the International Trademark Association (INTA), October 18, 2021.
- "Lessons from the Nicki Minaj Copyright Judgment," author, MediaLawLetter, Media Law Resource Center, January 2021.
- "Brizzy v. Vizzy: Molson Coors Obtains Cheers-Worthy Trademark Ruling at Fifth Circuit," co-author, Haynes and Boone publication, January 26, 2021.
- "Significant Changes to U.S. Trademark and Copyright Law Included in Latest Coronavirus Relief Legislation," co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, December 28, 2020.
- "Copyright Office Finds Aspects of the DMCA ‘Unbalanced’ in Favor of Online Service Providers," co-author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, September 2020.
- "Copyright Office Finds Aspects of the DMCA 'Unbalanced' in Favor of Online Service Providers," co-author, Haynes and Boone client alert, May 27, 2020.
- "Scandalous Trademarks and the First Amendment," presenter, SBOT’s Bill of Rights: Cutting-Edge Controversies in Constitutional Law CLE webcast, May 15, 2020.
- "Fair Use? The $9 Billion Question in Oracle v. Google," presenter, The Center for American and International Law (CAIL) – 57th Annual Conference on Intellectual Property Law, Plano, Texas, November 11-12, 2019.
- "Recent Developments in Intellectual Property Practice," presenter, Intellectual Property Panel Discussion with Haynes and Boone, Dallas, Texas, November 1, 2017.
- "Fake News and the Very Real Risks Associated With It," presenter, Dallas Bar Association, May 16, 2017.
- "Aftermath of the Supreme Court’s Aereo Decision," presenter, State Bar of Texas, 2015 Annual Meeting – Intellectual Property Section, June 19, 2015.
J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2004, cum laude
B.A., Southern Methodist University, 2001, cum laude
Law Clerk to the Honorable Don D. Bush, United States Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2004-2006
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States Supreme Court
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]