Randall Colson is the head of Haynes and Boone's Technology Transactions and Technology Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Groups. Leveraging his industry experience as a hardware and software designer, Randy has extensive experience counseling clients with a myriad of technology and intellectual property-related transactions, including information technology and business process outsourcing, software development and licensing, SaaS, intellectual property acquisitions and dispositions, cloud computing, hosting, joint development, distribution, consulting, naming rights and e-commerce transactions. Uniquely, Randy has represented both providers and customers of these services.
Randy has in-depth knowledge of the fast-paced, continually evolving technology industry, and understands the pressures many businesses face in today’s environment. He provides a strategic approach to helping clients achieve their business objectives.
Randy also provides counseling, internationally and domestically, on the use and procurement of patents, trademarks and copyrights, as well as intellectual property issues and due diligence related to corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate securities transactions. He has represented internet companies in co-branding, content licensing and technology service agreements, as well as technology companies in joint venture and co-marketing transactions. Additionally, he has experience in advertising and brand management matters, as well as sweepstakes and promotional law issues.
Prior to law school, Randy worked as an electrical engineer designing computer hardware and software for Data General Corporation. In addition to his law degree, Randy holds a B.S.E.E. in electrical engineering and a B.A. in liberal arts.
Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners has recognized Randy as a leading lawyer in Information Technology and Outsourcing in Texas from 2008-2013 and from 2015-2022. He is recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, in Information Technology/Outsourcing, Intellectual Property and Mergers and Acquisitions, 2011-2013. Randy was also recognized in The Best Lawyers of America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Technology Law, 2013-2023, and Privacy and Data Security Law, 2016-2023. Randy was recognized by Best Lawyers as a "Lawyer of the Year," Woodward/White, Inc., 2020 and 2023. Randy was recognized as Technology Transactions Lawyer of the Year in Texas – 2018, by Corporate INTL, JRS Corporate Limited, in the 2018 Corporate Intl Global Awards. Randy was listed in Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, Globe White Page Ltd., 2018-2022. Randy was listed in "Best Lawyers in Dallas," D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, 2017-2021. In October 2013, Randy was named as one of the Top Attorneys in Texas by Texas Monthly magazine, Emmis Publishing, L.P.
- Cloud computing, SaaS, and ASP agreement negotiations.
- Internet, e-commerce and domain names.
- Complex software development, licensing, maintenance, ASP and hosting transactions.
- The development of standard intellectual property related agreements and policies in connection with the formation of technology companies.
- The perfection of security interests for intellectual property in connection with various financing transactions, and enforcement of the security interests following bankruptcy.
- Privilege review of intellectual property related documents in connection with a Department of Justice secondary review for, at the time, the largest merger in U.S. corporate history.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- The Illinois State Bar Association
- Tau Beta Phi and Eta Kappa Nu
- Business Council for the Arts, Board Member; Chair, Technology Task Force
- UT CLE Annual technology Law Conference, Planning Committee Member
- TechLaw Group, Inc., Board Member; Chair, Website and Publications Committee
- "IP Due Diligence in M&A: Investigating Transferability of IP Assets, Blocking Rights, Liens and Other Encumbrances,” presenter, Strafford Publications webinar, October 4, 2018.
- "Virtual is the New Real: Virtual and augmented reality are transforming how we live, work and play," moderator, Business Council for the Arts, Dallas, TX, October 19, 2017.
- "Legal Ethics in Negotiation of Risk Allocation Provisions," panelist, The University of Texas School of Law 27th Annual Technology Law Conference, Austin, TX, May 23, 2014.
- "Protecting User Data in Light of the FTC’s Recent Privacy Enforcement Actions," co-author, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Business Law Section and Corporate Counsel Section, June 21, 2013.
- Quoted in, "More Bars Are Hearing The Not So Sweet Sound of a Lawsuit," Dallas Business Journal, November 2, 2012.
- "Office of the Future," presenter, BISNOW, Dallas, Texas, December 7, 2011.
- "The New Business Technology: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," presenter, North Dallas Chamber of Commerce 5th Annual Technology Trends Conference, Dallas, TX, October 7, 2011.
- "2011 Advanced Technology Licensing: Selected Topics," speaker, 24th Annual UT CLE Technology Law Conference, Austin, TX, May 26-27, 2011.
- "How to Get Out of an IT Contract – Legal Issues," speaker, HFMA Lone Star Chapter Summer Institute, May 19, 2011.
- "Used DVD and Video Game Resales One Step Closer to Extinction," Haynes and Boone Alert, January 20, 2011.
- "Global Traps and Opportunities: Business and Legal Issues in International Sales and Sourcing," TechLaw Fall CLE Conference, October 8, 2010.
- "Licensing In The Real World," SMU Law School, November 1 2010.
- "Intellectual Property," University of Texas, Dallas, January 9, 2010.
J.D., Northwestern University, 1991, Articles Editor, Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business
B.S.E.E., Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1986, cum laude
B.A., Wheaton College, 1986, cum laude
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Illinois Supreme Court
Texas Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
A Haynes and Boone, LLP deal team led by Megan Gess and Simin Sun advised firm client NextGen Healthcare, Inc., a leading provider of innovative cloud-based healthcare technology solutions, in its acquisition of TSI Healthcare. The transaction was completed on Wednesday, Nov. 30. NextGen Healthcare is a leading provider of innovative healthcare technology solutions. Located in Chapel Hill, N.C., T [...]