Ellen Conley is an associate in the Energy, Power and Natural Resources Practice Group in the Houston office of Haynes and Boone. She handles energy finance matters, as well as the acquisition and disposition of oil and gas properties. She represents lenders and borrowers in secured reserved-base credit facilities, and has experience with a variety of transactions, including ISDA master agreements and schedules and oil and gas purchase and sale agreements.
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2023
- Represented a private exploration and production company in the negotiation of a $6 billion senior secured revolving credit facility to finance, in part, the acquisition and development of oil and gas properties.
- Represented the administrative agent and letter of credit issuer in the negotiation of a $500 million amended and restated senior secured revolving credit facility to fund, in part, the acquisition and development of oil and gas properties located in the Permian Basin.
- Represented the lender in the negotiation of a $215 million first-lien 7 year term loan backed by long-term hedges and secured with the company’s Mobile Bay assets transferred into separate special purpose subsidiary borrowers.
- Represented an E&P company in the restructure of its first lien credit facility to a $650 million conforming/non-conforming borrowing base structure in connection with the repayment of the company’s second lien debt. The transaction also included renegotiation of the terms of the company’s unsecured subordinated debt to permit cash interest payments.
- Represented an independent operator, with oil and gas properties in Billings, McKenzie, and Stark Counties, North Dakota, in a $100 million senior secured revolving credit facility.
- Represented a private exploration and production company in the $120 million sale of upstream and associated midstream oil and gas assets located in the Marcellus Shale region of Pennsylvania.
- Represented an Eagle Ford gas gathering company in the documentation of a $75 million senior secured revolving credit facility, secured by all of the gathering company’s gathering and related assets.
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2023
- “A Rebranding of First Purchaser Statutes: Interest Owners’ Second Chance at First-Priority Protection,” presenter, 37th-annual Review of Energy Law Conference, August 5, 2022.
- “How Secured Lenders Can Maximize Their Recovery Against a Defaulting Borrower,” 16th Annual TJOGEL Symposium, speaker, February 26, 2021.
- "Midstream Midlife Crisis?" co-presenter, Haynes and Boone webinar, November 12, 2020.
- "Steps to Maximizing Recovery: What Can An Oil And Gas Financier Do And When Should It Do It?" author, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, October 2020.
- “Execution Against Oil and Gas Assets: What the Financing Party Can Do and When It Can Do It,” presenter, Virtual Special Institute Bankruptcy And Financial Distress In The Oil & Gas Industry: Legal Problems And Solutions October 23, 2020.
- "Oil Crash Course Series - 2020," co-presenter, Haynes and Boone webinar, October 7, 2020.
- “Dealing With COVID-19 and Oil Price Decline: Remedies Available to Secured Energy Lenders That do not Require Direct Ownership of Oil, Gas Properties,” co-author, Thomson Reuters Practical Law, May 11, 2020.
- “An Overview of Volumetric Production Payments (VPPs): Issues and Considerations,” co-author, Thomson Reuters Practical Law, April 2022.
- "Oil and Gas Matters," co-author, State Bar of Texas, March 3, 2020
- "Security Interests: Oil & Gas," co-author, Thomson Reuters' Practical Law, July 25, 2017.
- “Volumetric Production Payments in Bankruptcy,” co-author, South Texas Law Review, March 15, 2017.
- "Quicksilver Rejection Motion Withdrawn; Bar Looks to Magnum Hunter," co-author, Haynes and Boone Oil Patch Bankruptcy blog, April 7, 2016.
- "Quicksilver 'White-Hot' Issue May Be Placed on the Back Burner," author, Haynes and Boone Oil Patch Bankruptcy blog, April 5, 2016.
- "Gas Gathering Agreements: The Treatment of GGAs as Executory Contracts in Bankruptcy," presenter, CLE Presentation, April 4, 2016.
- "Avoiding Bankruptcy Via Distressed Oil And Gas Sales," co-author, Law360 , December 16, 2015
- "That’s Privileged! Or Is It? Uncovering Lost Privileges and Exceptions in Texas Codes," author, 47 Tex. Tech L. Rev. Online Ed. 1 (2015).
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, 2015, summa cum laude; Order of the Coif; Texas Tech Law Review
B.A., English and Spanish, Texas A&M University, 2011, cum laude
Legal Intern to the Honorable Joseph Halbach, 333rd District Court, Harris County, Texas, Summer 2013
Haynes and Boone, LLP Houston Partner Brent Shultz led a team representing Mizuho Bank, Ltd., in a $1.5 billion delayed draw term loan to Targa Resources Corp. The proceeds of the loan will be used by Targa in connection with its $3.55 billion acquisition of Lucid Energy Delaware, LLC. Lucid provides natural gas gathering, treating, and processing services in the Delaware Basin. The acquisition [...]